Introduction: Jose

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
JGonzalezGUS

Introduction: Jose

Post by JGonzalezGUS »

Hello everyone,
I'm 70 years old, retired. My first language was Spanish. I've lived in Florida since 1965.

I started learning Koine a couple of months ago. This morning I was reading the first few pages of Mark 1-8 A Handbook on the Greek Text by Rodney Decker and discovered this forum. I'm looking forwards to seeing what other people write here.
I've been using Basics of Biblical Greek (Mounce) but I have a veritable arsenal at my disposal. I only hope I live long enough to enjoy it! In addition to BBG my printed library consists of:
Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics (Wallace)
New Testament Syntax (Wallace)
A Graded Reader of Biblical Greek (Mounce)
The Morphology of Biblical Greek (Mounce)
Greek/English Lexicon of the NT (BDAG)

The Greek texts I have are: NA28, UBS5 and GNT 3rd Edition (Zondervan).

My goal is to do my own, 'personal' translation of Mark. For this purpose I have:
Mark 1-8: A Handbook on the Greek Text (Decker)
Mark 9-16: A Handbook on the Greek Text (Decker)
A Translator’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark (Bratcher)
A Translator’s Handbook to the Gospel of Mark (Bratcher)

Having been a computer professional during my working years, I had to have software, so I use Accordance.I won't list all the modules included.

When something gets in my head, I go 110%. If I don't succeed, it won't be for lack of trying.

Regards,
Jose
Jonathan Robie

Re: Introduction: Jose

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome to B-Greek, Jose! Hope we can be helpful to you!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

JGonzalezGUS wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm 70 years old, retired. My first language was Spanish. I've lived in Florida since 1965.

I started learning Koine a couple of months ago. This morning I was reading the first few pages of Mark 1-8 A Handbook on the Greek Text by Rodney Decker and discovered this forum. I'm looking forwards to seeing what other people write here.
I've been using Basics of Biblical Greek (Mounce) but I have a veritable arsenal at my disposal. I only hope I live long enough to enjoy it! In addition to BBG my printed library consists of:
Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics (Wallace)
New Testament Syntax (Wallace)
A Graded Reader of Biblical Greek (Mounce)
The Morphology of Biblical Greek (Mounce)
Greek/English Lexicon of the NT (BDAG)

The Greek texts I have are: NA28, UBS5 and GNT 3rd Edition (Zondervan).

My goal is to do my own, 'personal' translation of Mark. For this purpose I have:
Mark 1-8: A Handbook on the Greek Text (Decker)
Mark 9-16: A Handbook on the Greek Text (Decker)
A Translator’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark (Bratcher)
A Translator’s Handbook to the Gospel of Mark (Bratcher)

Having been a computer professional during my working years, I had to have software, so I use Accordance.I won't list all the modules included.

When something gets in my head, I go 110%. If I don't succeed, it won't be for lack of trying.

Regards,
Jose
Ola Jose
Another very useful book might be "An Analysis of the Greek New Testament" (Max Zerwick and Mary Grosvernor) -Biblical Institute Press, Rome. Mary Grosvenor added all sorts of interesting insights when she translated the original.
Welcome to B-Greek
Shirley Rollinson
JGonzalezGUS

Post by JGonzalezGUS »

Thank you for the welcome, Jonathan Roble and Shirley Rollinson.
Shirley, thanks for the book suggestion. I found it on Amazon and a less expensive copy, although new, on eBay.
I'm planning on consulting this forum often. It looks very helpful.
Regards,
Jose

Return to “Introductions”