its all greek to me

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
little flower

its all greek to me

Post by little flower »

hi fellow biblical greek forum members,
im new to this forum.(and to biblical greek in general) so new that i had to get my classics tutor (javier) to answer the registration question. i asked the greek members on textkit to advise me on how i should start my greek journey. they gave me some solid advise on courses/texts to start with. (ie athenaze, jact).im fairly familiar with llpsi (lingua latina) having studied it for about 14 years off and on. it would be useful if there was some thing similar available for biblical greek. would anyone be willing to introduce me to on line courses which they found useful? im fairly familiar with latin and ancient greek chat, polis and novum vivarium. most courses are online at the moment because of the virus.
looking forward to hear from you and to ask you many questions.
daniel.
(little flower)
Barry Hofstetter

Re: its all greek to me

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome, Daniel. My advice is to systematically work through one beginning grammar. Athenaze would be best. It is great preparation for reading Attic Greek, of course, but if you can read Attic, the NT is no problem.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I’m in agreement with Barry. Not only is Athenaze really similar to LLPSI in approach (especially if you use the Italian version), it has sections in each chapter that introduce you to New Testament Greek. If you complete Athenaze, you will be a good position to read Greek from all periods. It will allow you to read the New Testament as well as the Patristic literature, Josephus, Philo, and the Greek writers from the classical period in Athens. Go for Athenaze.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

little flower wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 12:05 pm hi fellow biblical greek forum members,
im new to this forum.(and to biblical greek in general) so new that i had to get my classics tutor (javier) to answer the registration question. i asked the greek members on textkit to advise me on how i should start my greek journey. they gave me some solid advise on courses/texts to start with. (ie athenaze, jact).im fairly familiar with llpsi (lingua latina) having studied it for about 14 years off and on. it would be useful if there was some thing similar available for biblical greek. would anyone be willing to introduce me to on line courses which they found useful? im fairly familiar with latin and ancient greek chat, polis and novum vivarium. most courses are online at the moment because of the virus.
looking forward to hear from you and to ask you many questions.
daniel.
(little flower)
Welcome to B-Greek
You are welcome to try the online Greek textbook, at http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html - it's free
Also you could try the "Alpha with Angela" videos at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0ilq ... Cw4m3UYC1Q
Happy learning
Shirley Rollinson

Return to “Introductions”