Policy: Let the moderators do the moderating

B-Greek policies. Participants are required to abide by these policies. If you have questions about them, please discuss in the Questions forum.
Jonathan Robie

Policy: Let the moderators do the moderating

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Please let the moderators do the moderating. Please do not tell people what they are allowed to post on B-Greek unless you are a moderator. If policy needs to be clarified, please let us do that.

Please be welcoming to newcomers. Please don't worry about what someone else might post until they actually post it. Please don't play status games and imply you know more than the newcomers do or that they are not capable of participating here. If you know something pertinent to the conversation, simply post it.

If a post is problematic, please use the report button to bring it to the moderator's attention.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Policy: Let the moderators do the moderating

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

The moderators don't even follow their own policy. The policy becomes what the moderators say on any particular day of the week. Only the moderators are allowed to violate the topical focus guidelines that have been enforce since the 1990s. Literary criticism is off topic. Search the archives. Been said a million times.

The forum is obviously dying. This group has been useful in the past. Nothing out there today to replace it. It's history. Go ahead and delete this. Censorship is certainly a tradition here.

Many valuable participants have left this forum after becoming aware that you can't discuss new testament texts in any meaning way here.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: October 25th, 2018, 9:40 pm The moderators don't even follow their own policy. The policy becomes what the moderators say on any particular day of the week. Only the moderators are allowed to violate the topical focus guidelines that have been enforce since the 1990s. Literary criticism is off topic. Search the archives. Been said a million times.
Literary criticism is off topic, you are right about that, but reading a passage in context is not. Some topics that were strictly off limits no longer are because we have found we can discuss them without descending into chaos. I think the moderators are actually pretty good about policy - we discuss policy in a closed subforum, we make changes from time to time, when there's a discrepancy we talk about it. You are not part of that. And really, the goal of B-Greek is to discuss the Greek text and language, not to litigate policy.

I have had several people report that someone was telling them they are not allowed to post things that are allowed over the last few months. The people telling them that are not moderators. That makes newcomers feel less welcome.
Stirling Bartholomew wrote: October 25th, 2018, 9:40 pmThe forum is obviously dying. This group has been useful in the past. Nothing out there today to replace it. It's history. Go ahead and delete this. Censorship is certainly a tradition here.

Many valuable participants have left this forum after becoming aware that you can't discuss new testament texts in any meaning way here.
B-Greek has always been low volume, and there has always been someone saying that it was dying, that it was too restrictive, etc. There are also more alternatives these days, including various Facebook groups. I think there are still things that work better in this kind of forum, and we continue to have interesting threads and interesting people that pop up. I imagine that will continue.

Respectful discourse is a tradition here, and so is welcoming newcomers. I deleted one of your posts yesterday because of that.

In the past, I think you have sometimes said that our rules are too restrictive to allow more meaningful discussion of the texts. Are there ways you would like to see us change those rules?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Jonathan Robie wrote: October 26th, 2018, 7:48 amB-Greek has always been low volume, and there has always been someone saying that it was dying, that it was too restrictive, etc. There are also more alternatives these days, including various Facebook groups. I think there are still things that work better in this kind of forum, and we continue to have interesting threads and interesting people that pop up. I imagine that will continue.
Low volume is good.

FB groups might be populace and super active, but insight & useful comment gets lost in the flood. In the end such groups end up being little more than people either pooling ignorance or simply regurgitating tradition. Both of which are really unfortunate.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

MAubrey wrote: January 13th, 2019, 7:23 pm
Jonathan Robie wrote: October 26th, 2018, 7:48 amB-Greek has always been low volume, and there has always been someone saying that it was dying, that it was too restrictive, etc. There are also more alternatives these days, including various Facebook groups. I think there are still things that work better in this kind of forum, and we continue to have interesting threads and interesting people that pop up. I imagine that will continue.
Low volume is good.

FB groups might be populace and super active, but insight & useful comment gets lost in the flood. In the end such groups end up being little more than people either pooling ignorance or simply regurgitating tradition. Both of which are really unfortunate.
I agree. And I have a really hard time finding something that was said 6 months ago on Facebook.

Return to “Policies”