What is the relationship between these two verbs?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Mike Burke

Post by Mike Burke »

καὶ πάντα ὅσα ἂν αἰτήσητε ἐν τῇ προσευχῇ πιστεύοντες λήμψεσθε. (Matt. 21:22, Westcott and Hort.)

Aiteste is an active voice aorist tense verb in the subjunctive mood, and pisteuontes is an active voice present tense verb in the participle mood, and I'd like to know what this indicates about the time of the action?

Does the believing follow the asking, or must it be concurrent?
Jonathan Robie

Re: What is the relationship between these two verbs?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Hi Mike,

Let's pick this sentence apart, starting with the main verb, which is λήμψεσθε - you shall receive. πιστεύοντες modifies λήμψεσθε - believing, you shall receive. But I think this is a conditional use of the participle: if you believe, you shall receive. The object of λήμψεσθε says what it is that you shall receive: πάντα ὅσα ἂν αἰτήσητε ἐν τῇ προσευχῇ - whatever you should ask for in prayer.

The aorist expresses absolute time only in the indicative, not in the subjunctive. I do think this implies that the asking in prayer happens before receiving, and that believing is a condition for receiving, but I don't think it establishes a relationship between the time of asking and the time of believing.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Mike Burke

Re: What is the relationship between these two verbs?

Post by Mike Burke »

Thank you.

Return to “Beginners Forum”