καταλειψαντας

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
MCB1

καταλειψαντας

Post by MCB1 »

Hi there, I came across this in Acts 6:2, I believe it is the 14th word in the GNT. However, I cannot find a dictionary that defines it, including the latest Greek-English Lexicon by Bauer and Danker. It is not in Strong's nor the dictionary which accompanies my Nestle-Aland 2nd edition. The ESV Greek-English interlinear gives the word "give" as in "give up" but it would be nice to find correlation. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks!
Jonathan Robie

Re: καταλειψαντας

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Here's the verse:
Acts 6:2 wrote:προσκαλεσάμενοι δὲ οἱ δώδεκα τὸ πλῆθος τῶν μαθητῶν εἶπαν· Οὐκ ἀρεστόν ἐστιν ἡμᾶς καταλείψαντας τὸν λόγον τοῦ θεοῦ διακονεῖν τραπέζαις·
καταλείψαντας is a form of καταλείπω, Abbott-Smith defines it as:
κατα-λείπω [in LXX chiefly far שָׁאַר, ni., hi., also for עָזַב, יָתַר, etc. ;]
1 1, to leave behind, leave: c. acc pers. (rei), Mt 4:13, Mk 12:19, 21, Lk 20:31, Ac 24:27 25:14, He 11:27; of sailing by a place, Ac 21:3; ptcp., καταλιπών, redundant (Dalman, Words, 21 f.), Mt 16:4 21:17; pass., Jo 8:9, I Th 3:1; metaph., εὐθεῖαν ὁδόν, II Pe 2:15.
2. to forsake, abandon: Mt 19:5, Mk 10:7 (LXX) Mk 14:52, Lk 5:28 15:4, Ac 6:2, Eph 5:31 (LXX).
3. to leave remaining, reserve: c. acc et inf., Lk 10:40; ἐμαυτῷ, Ro 11:4 (LXX); pass., He 4:1 (cf. ἐν-κατα-λείπω).†
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Barry Hofstetter

Re: καταλειψαντας

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Remember that Greek is an inflected language, meaning that words change form to express syntax and grammar. In the lexicons, verbs are listed according to their first principle part, the first person singular present tense. Of course with electronic tools you normally only have to click the word and it gives you the lexical entry... :o
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “Beginners Forum”