Πολυμερῶς καὶ πολυτρόπως

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Jacob Rhoden

Πολυμερῶς καὶ πολυτρόπως

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

I've not come across this before, are the words Πολυμερῶς and πολυτρόπως being used as a preposition, or is there another rule at play which I have not yet learnt?
Heb. 1:1
Πολυμερῶς καὶ πολυτρόπως πάλαι ὁ θεὸς λαλήσας τοῖς πατράσιν ἐν τοῖς προφήταις
Wes Wood

Re: Πολυμερῶς καὶ πολυτρόπως

Post by Wes Wood »

Πολυμερῶς καὶ πολυτρόπως πάλαι ὁ θεὸς λαλήσας τοῖς πατράσιν ἐν τοῖς προφήταις ἐπ᾿ ἐσχάτου τῶν ἡμερῶν τούτων ἐλάλησεν ἡμῖν ἐν υἱῷ,

I absolutely loved the way this passage sounded in English long before I could read Greek. The only verse that comes close to bringing me as much aesthetic pleasure is James 1:21, but only if it is read aloud from the KJV.

I believe Πολυμερῶς and πολυτρόπως are both adverbs. Many Greek adverbs end in -ως much like many English adverbs end in -ly. A loose translation: "God, who spoke to our fathers in the past through the prophets many times and in many different ways, spoke to us by his son during these last days."
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Thanks Wes. I tried looking them up in the bible and they apparently appear no where else. I somehow have 5 or 6 greek dictionaries in Accordance, and none of them provide much information apart from the fact these words are a combination of the two other words.

And yes, I noticed this as well, this verse really does sound awesome to read aloud. It seems quite easy to read smoothly.
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

If you know this already, please forgive me. If you can't find a word in a lexicon you have access to, you can always try LSJ. My favorite places to access it are here: http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=8 ... ext=search or through Perseus here: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... ek#lexicon. Perseus is especially useful if you wish to see how a certain word is used in other Greek sources, and you can also access other lexica that you may find less challenging to use. I believe each of the urls above will take you directly to one of the entries for the words you were having trouble with. Maybe you will like the layout of one better than the other. Hope this helps!
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Wes Wood wrote:If you know this already, please forgive me. If you can't find a word in a lexicon you have access to, you can always try LSJ. My favorite places to access it are here: http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=8 ... ext=search or through Perseus here: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... ek#lexicon. Perseus is especially useful if you wish to see how a certain word is used in other Greek sources, and you can also access other lexica that you may find less challenging to use. I believe each of the urls above will take you directly to one of the entries for the words you were having trouble with. Maybe you will like the layout of one better than the other. Hope this helps!
Another site for viewing Perseus lexical information that I find very useful is Logeion. I've just accessed the verb ἀπόλλυμι at http://tinyurl.com/ofrmbk7. If you look at that page, you'll find the entries for this verb in all the different lexicons that show it, including (if you can use it) the excellent Spanish DGE which has an entry for a word that early in the alphabet. In addition, there are, in the right-hand column, word-frequencies, references to standard primers (of Attic, not Koine, Greek), lists of collocations -- words commonly associated with the word you're checking. At the bottom of the page there's a selection of texts showing the usage of the word you've looked up in several texts in which the word is used, so you can get a feel for some of the range of usage of the word in question. This site thus offers you quite a range of information and references to help you ascertain possible meanings and usages of the word you are checking. Some of this same information, to be sure, is also accessible at the other accessible LSJ sites.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

cwconrad wrote:Another site for viewing Perseus lexical information that I find very useful is Logeion.
I'll second the vote for Logeion. It seems better maintained than Perseus even.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Logeion is a fine resource. On Heb 1:1 itself, it always reminds me of:

ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:Logeion is a fine resource. On Heb 1:1 itself, it always reminds me of:

ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ...
Well, it's the same word, but there's a far stretch between the wiliness of Odysseus and the versatility of God's revelation -- or is there? Perhaps in view of Heb 4:12 ...
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Return to “Beginners Forum”