Ending of γενηθήτω?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Tim Evans

Ending of γενηθήτω?

Post by Tim Evans »

By greek is only beginner level, I am troubled recognising the ending of γενηθήτω from the Lords Prayer:
ἐλθέτω ἡ βασιλεία σου·
γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου,
ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ γῆς·
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
According to duff page 169, in other moods we have λυθητι, λυθητε, and λυθηναι. I don't recall ever seeing a "θητω" anywhere. What am I missing? Accordance calls it "3S aor pass imperative" so I know I was on the right track thinking its passive imperative.
cwconrad

Re: Ending of γενηθήτω?

Post by cwconrad »

Tim Evans wrote:By greek is only beginner level, I am troubled recognising the ending of γενηθήτω from the Lords Prayer:
ἐλθέτω ἡ βασιλεία σου·
γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου,
ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ γῆς·
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
According to duff page 169, in other moods we have λυθητι, λυθητε, and λυθηναι. I don't recall ever seeing a "θητω" anywhere. What am I missing? Accordance calls it "3S aor pass imperative" so I know I was on the right track thinking its passive imperative.
-τω is the third-person active singular imperative ending (cf. λυέτω 3 sg. pres.act. imptv.., λυσάτω 3 sg. aor. act. imptv. One of the "curious" facts about all the θη aorist forms is that they take active endings.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Return to “Beginners Forum”