Πρὸ τοῦ σε Φίλιππον φωνῆσαι ὄντα

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
adrianm

Πρὸ τοῦ σε Φίλιππον φωνῆσαι ὄντα

Post by adrianm »

Hi,

I have been learning hellenistic Greek since last Sept. On my own, for it is not easy to find any decent course. Unfortunately, learning on one's own means asking when you can't find answer in books.

The question is: In John 1,48 we find:

Πρὸ τοῦ σε Φίλιππον φωνῆσαι

Φίλιππον σε φωνῆσαι - looks like ACI to me (am I right?)

but... what "τοῦ" means here? This is def. art. in genetive neuter (or masc.) but in the whole sentence there is no noun in genetive...

(ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ Πρὸ τοῦ σε Φίλιππον φωνῆσαι ὄντα ὑπὸ τὴν συκῆν εἶδόν σε.)

Could anyone explein that to me, please? Thank you in advance.
timothy_p_mcmahon

Re: Πρὸ τοῦ σε Φίλιππον φωνῆσαι ὄντα

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

The article τοῦ introduces the infinitive φωνῆσαι. You can research this usage in most any Greek grammar under articular infinitive.

It's genitive because the phrase τοῦ...φωνῆσαι is the object of the preposition πρὸ.

Assuming ACI stands for 'accusative with infinitive' you're correct. Only by context is it certain that Φίλιππον is the subject and σε the object.
adrianm

Re: Πρὸ τοῦ σε Φίλιππον φωνῆσαι ὄντα

Post by adrianm »

That is what I needed! Thank you very much indeed!

Return to “Beginners Forum”