Leaders, Rulers, Jews, and Chief Priests

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Jacob Rhoden

Leaders, Rulers, Jews, and Chief Priests

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Being under the impression that there is only ever one high priest in the Old Testament, when I read "chief priests" (plural) I am aware that there is a clear gap in my understanding of these terms as they are used by the Gospel writers. It also appears there is some variance in translations as to how these terms are handled. Is anyone able to direct me to a useful resource/book/article that may help me understand these terms better?

Thanks!
Wes Wood

Re: Leaders, Rulers, Jews, and Chief Priests

Post by Wes Wood »

Jacob Rhoden wrote:Being under the impression that there is only ever one high priest in the Old Testament, when I read "chief priests" (plural) I am aware that there is a clear gap in my understanding of these terms as they are used by the Gospel writers. It also appears there is some variance in translations as to how these terms are handled. Is anyone able to direct me to a useful resource/book/article that may help me understand these terms better?

Thanks!
You might check BDAG, first for how the word ἀρχιερεύς is used and then look at some of the sources cited there.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ

Return to “Beginners Forum”