Workbook Questions Clarification

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
brandonray

Workbook Questions Clarification

Post by brandonray »

Hello,

I am learning Koine Greek on my own and I am reading Dr. Wallace's grammar. I am also doing his workbook and I have the answer sheet. My question is, what is the criteria of the "word related to" question? For example, the verse is Mark 14:12.

"And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the Passover lamb, his disciples said to him,..."

The question would be what the word "day" is related to. My answer is "first" because it is modifying the word "day". When I checked the answer key, the answer it has was "said" or "legousin". Aren't adjectives related to the word it is modifying? Or am I missing something?

Also, are possessive genitives also not related to the word? for example, "my hand.." is in the verse. It asks for what the word "hand" is related to. Is it wrong to put "my"?

If anyone can help me that would be great because I want to make sure I'm doing fine in my studies.

Thanks in advance.
Jean Putmans

Re: Workbook Questions Clarification

Post by Jean Putmans »

Maybe You could try this:

"on THAT day his disciples said ..." ) : THAT day = determination of the time they said something; this might be the word-relation between "day" and "said"

"first"
"of Unleavened Bread"
"When they sacrificed the Passover lamb"
Are 3 additional determinations of "THAT day".

regards,

Jean
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Moderator Notes:

1) Please remember to cite the Greek, not the English, when discussing the Greek.
2) Jean, we need a last name for you according to B-Greek's username policy. Post it here or contact a moderator and we'll change your screen name to match.

Now... Καὶ τῇ πρώτῃ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν ἀζύμων, ὅτε τὸ πάσχα ἔθυον, λέγουσιν αὐτῷ οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ

I do not have the workbook (and hope never to have it), but the problem seems to be the word "related." Of course, πρώτῃ is "related" to ἡμέρᾳ as an adjective modifying a noun, and also the genitive. But here I think that Wallace is referring to the fact that as a dative (here dative of time when) the noun is an adverbial "relationship" with the verb. When did the action of λέγουσι take place? On the first day....
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
brandonray

Post by brandonray »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: September 25th, 2018, 10:28 am
Now... Καὶ τῇ πρώτῃ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν ἀζύμων, ὅτε τὸ πάσχα ἔθυον, λέγουσιν αὐτῷ οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ

I do not have the workbook (and hope never to have it), but the problem seems to be the word "related." Of course, πρώτῃ is "related" to ἡμέρᾳ as an adjective modifying a noun, and also the genitive. But here I think that Wallace is referring to the fact that as a dative (here dative of time when) the noun is an adverbial "relationship" with the verb. When did the action of λέγουσι take place? On the first day....
That make sense since this was an exercise about the dative case. Maybe the workbook is asking for the verb it is related to. Thank you for your help! Next time, I will put the Greek text :)

Brandon Saquilayan
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I do not have the workbook (and hope never to have it) ...
Yes, strive for a "Wallace-free" library and you will do better.

"Wallace-free" functions as a qualifier of "library."
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Barry Hofstetter

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: September 25th, 2018, 12:43 pm

I do have Wallace's GGBB simply because it is widely used and quoted, and it's helpful to have the "original text" available when responding.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
brandonray

Post by brandonray »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: September 25th, 2018, 7:03 pm
Stirling Bartholomew wrote: September 25th, 2018, 12:43 pm

I do have Wallace's GGBB simply because it is widely used and quoted, and it's helpful to have the "original text" available when responding.
Is there something wrong with Dr. Wallace's grammar? :o
Barry Hofstetter

brandonray wrote: September 25th, 2018, 7:42 pm Is there something wrong with Dr. Wallace's grammar? :o
I don't know about Stirling, but I'm being somewhat facetious. For the work doing at your level, as long as it is helping you interact with the Greek, it's fine. There are issues at a methodological level, and I think there are better materials to work with, particularly for classroom instruction, but that requires some fairly lengthy explanation.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
brandonray

Post by brandonray »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: September 26th, 2018, 9:37 am
brandonray wrote: September 25th, 2018, 7:42 pm Is there something wrong with Dr. Wallace's grammar? :o
I don't know about Stirling, but I'm being somewhat facetious. For the work doing at your level, as long as it is helping you interact with the Greek, it's fine. There are issues at a methodological level, and I think there are better materials to work with, particularly for classroom instruction, but that requires some fairly lengthy explanation.

If you can explain (as long or as short as you can) what better materials there are available for someone like me learning the language on their own, that would be greatly appreciated. I need all the help I can get. Thank you! :)
brandonray

Biblical Greek Materials

Post by brandonray »

Just searched various threads on this site about learning Greek and this is what I gathered so far:

1. Maximum exposure of Greek (30-45mins a day)
2. Read extrabiblical writings
3. Eventually learn attic and classical greek (or even start learning it)
4. Smyth + BDF are the preferred grammars
5. Read grammars mainly for reference

Return to “Beginners Forum”