ἔνδοξος and εὐδόκησεν

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
S Walch

Re: ἔνδοξος and εὐδόκησεν

Post by S Walch »

Robin wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 9:14 pm What is a good source for LXX translation of Greek words to Hebrew word.

"Study Light" website shows Hebrew מַחְמָד (machmad) translates to only ‑ ἔνδοξος. I do not know why it is not showing επιθυμία
Because the "Study Light" website doesn't show that מַחְמָד "translates to only" ἔνδοξος, but merely says that ἔνδοξος is a supposed equivalent to מַחְמָד.

It's not, btw; ἔνδοξος translates מַחְמָד only once in the LXX - Isaiah 64:11. As ἔνδοξος is used over 90 times in the LXX, to call ἔνδοξος an "equivalent" to מַחְמָד is nigh on stupid.

As for a good source, I suggest the Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Septuagint.

Firstly, however, I would suggest learning either Greek or Hebrew to begin with, rather than attempting to find "links between words".

Doing so would benefit you far more than any links between words will do.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Hebrew: ח מ ד (H-M-D) root does have following meaning in Arabic and Hebrew from the link below:

"praise", "desire"," delight", "beauty", "cute", "lovely" etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%B8%A4-M-D
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

S Walch wrote: December 4th, 2018, 5:54 am
Robin wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 9:14 pm What is a good source for LXX translation of Greek words to Hebrew word.

"Study Light" website shows Hebrew מַחְמָד (machmad) translates to only ‑ ἔνδοξος. I do not know why it is not showing επιθυμία
Because the "Study Light" website doesn't show that מַחְמָד "translates to only" ἔνδοξος, but merely says that ἔνδοξος is a supposed equivalent to מַחְמָד.

It's not, btw; ἔνδοξος translates מַחְמָד only once in the LXX - Isaiah 64:11. As ἔνδοξος is used over 90 times in the LXX ...
I came up with different numbers. ἔνδοξος is used 66 times in 64 verses in the LXX-1 [1]. The same search in the STEP bible LXX produces 42 results. This is just one reflection of the problems we encounter talking about The Septuagint. See Peter J. Williams:
Why I Don't Believe In The Septuagint - Dr. Peter Williams, PhD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmpnJ1cgh58

Hello Robin,

The study of translation equivalents in the Greek versions of the Hebrew Bible is a fascinating endeavor. You might find the STEP Bible helpful in that you can display the Hebrew and Greek texts in parallel columns and hyperlink to lexicons and other resources. However, the STEP Bible, at this time, does not provide a direct mapping of translation equivalents. This is available in various add-on modules to commercial bible software which is an expensive route that I don't recommend.

Mapping of translation equivalents is a complex problem. One Hebrew word is often translated by several different Greek words. One Greek word often translates several Hebrew words. The best policy is to limit your research to a single text/book, for example Genesis. Talking about how a certain word is used in The Septuagint is invalid. The Septuagint is a conglomeration of texts which share nothing other than language. Peter Williams explains this well, so I will not repeat his argument.

[1] Greek Septuagint

Kraft/Taylor/Wheeler Septuagint Morphology Database v. 4.5
Copyright © 2010, Bernard A. Taylor and Dale M. Wheeler. All rights reserved.
Septuaginta, edited by Alfred Rahlfs
Editio altera by Robert Hanhart
©2006 Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart. Version 4.5
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Robin

Post by Robin »

Hi Stirling,
Thanks for you comment. Some people say that LXX for the first five books of the old testament are more reliable translation. I will look at the links you posted.
Robin

Post by Robin »

It is likely that Hebrew מַחְמָד (machmad) and Arabic "Muhammad" are cognates.

Both of the words have same H-M-D root.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%B8%A4-M-D

"Muhammad" means "praiseworthy". The root word Hamd (Arabic) — "praise" , similar to Hebrew חָמַד.

LXX translates מַחֲמַדֵּ֖ינוּ in Isaiah 64:11 to ένδοξα.
LXX translates חָמַד in Psalm 68:16 to ευδόκησεν.
Robin

Post by Robin »

If Hebrew מַחְמָד (machmad) and Arabic "Muhammad" are cognates, that means one of the title of Jesus is "Muhammad".

Return to “Beginners Forum”