hoi douloi/hai doulai

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
rubenk

hoi douloi/hai doulai

Post by rubenk »

Hi, a simple question (I just have no idea in Greek, sorry!).
LXX translates the word "slaves" in Exodus 21:7 as hai doulai (female slaves). In original word in Hebrew says "slaves", which in Hebrew means primarily male slaves, but also male-and-female slaves (in Hebrew, if you use a plural masculine form it may reffer to masculine only, but also to both males and females). my question is: how does it work in Greek, is there a general term for slaves that you could use in order to express in one word "male-and-female slaves", which the translators could have used in order to translate the Hebrew "slaves (AVADIM)" (like the English: "slaves") or isn't there such a thing, and the translator had to chose between "hoi douloi" and "hai doulai"? (the verse speaks after all about the rules of a female slave).
Thank you,
Ruben
Jonathan Robie

Re: hoi douloi/hai doulai

Post by Jonathan Robie »

rubenk wrote: February 11th, 2019, 4:31 am LXX translates the word "slaves" in Exodus 21:7 as hai doulai (female slaves). In original word in Hebrew says "slaves", which in Hebrew means primarily male slaves, but also male-and-female slaves (in Hebrew, if you use a plural masculine form it may reffer to masculine only, but also to both males and females).
Indeed. And the Greek word works pretty much the same way. The LXX and the Hebrew do not say the same thing.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
rubenk

Post by rubenk »

I'm sorry Jonathan, thanks for your reply but I need more clarification. (what doe's: "works the same way" reffer to). In short: would it be possible in Greek to use a general word (like the English "slaves") without indicating whether we speak about males or females? of must he "pick a side"?
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

The masculine is the common gender in Greek, so that δοῦλοι may be used of both male and female slaves. עֶבֶד is the common word in Hebrew with a fairly wide range of usage, and it appears to me could be used to cover both male and female slaves. HALOT shows how it is translated in the LXX:

עֶבֶד (800 times, Sept. 340 times παῖς, 310 times δοῦλος, 42 times θεράπων, for other renderings see vdPloeg VTSupp. 22 (1972):74f)

Koehler, L., Baumgartner, W., Richardson, M. E. J., & Stamm, J. J. (1994–2000). The Hebrew and Aramaic lexicon of the Old Testament (electronic ed., p. 774). Leiden: E.J. Brill.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

rubenk wrote: February 13th, 2019, 6:31 am I'm sorry Jonathan, thanks for your reply but I need more clarification.
Barry explained what I meant quite well.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
rubenk

Post by rubenk »

Thank you very much! you've helped me alot!
Ruben

Return to “Beginners Forum”