Eusebius, Commentary on Isaiah

Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Eusebius, Commentary on Isaiah

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Ken M. Penner wrote:
Stirling Bartholomew wrote:An e-text hyperlinked to Lampe would be better. Using LSJ is sub-optimal. I have Lampe but seldom look at it.
FWIW, in the first 10 lines of the Commentarius I see at least 7 words not in Lampe; they're all in LSJ.
It's been a while since I read the introduction to Lampe but it seems like that is a reflection of the intention for Lampe, it was not intended to cover words which were in LSJ and the treatment there was deemed adequate for patristic texts.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

If TLG has Lampe digitized, that would be a good incentive for people like me who use TLG-e to switch to a TLG subscription. Are there any other benefits of having a subscription to TLG? I run a Logos platform and have BDAG, LSJ, Abbott-Smith, Sophocles, (not yet the middle BDAG), among other lexicons.

I'd be interested in joining a Eusebius reading group. I work long hours, but need to join a reading group to keep me reading enough Greek so my skills improve. I may not be able to contribute much than a few questions here and there.

Louis
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:If TLG has Lampe digitized, that would be a good incentive for people like me who use TLG-e to switch to a TLG subscription. Are there any other benefits of having a subscription to TLG? I run a Logos platform and have BDAG, LSJ, Abbott-Smith, Sophocles, (not yet the middle BDAG), among other lexicons.

I'd be interested in joining a Eusebius reading group. I work long hours, but need to join a reading group to keep me reading enough Greek so my skills improve. I may not be able to contribute much than a few questions here and there.

Louis
TLG does have Lampe, Bauer, LSJ, and a few others digitized and indexed to the Eusebius text. The biggest benefit I see for a subscription besides that, is just the sheer number of texts which are digitized and indexed on TLG. I am doing some reading in Xenophon, in Babrius, and now in Eusebius, and they are all there in a very nice format. It is an ideal platform for a study in something like the Church fathers. For me, something like TLG is almost a must for this kind of a study.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Ken, I would be interested in attempting to read a selected passage or two. 280 pages of text is too daunting. Andrew
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

I missed this by a few weeks. I'm going to jump in on this! How far have you guys progressed?
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Ken,
Can you post a reading schedule? Or did I miss this?
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

Perhaps Ken is indisposed. I'm up for reading this or something else. Would love to be involved in a reading group.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I would be interested. Eusebius can be very challenging at times.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

I've never done a reading schedule for a group. I suppose we would have weekly targets? How much in a week? I would think we would start small then see how things go and speed up if it's too slow.

How about we go through 1.6 next week? Please comment if that's too short or long.

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”