Hebrews 10:19-20

How can I best learn new vocabulary items? What aids are there and what pitfalls should be avoided? How does a beginner learn to use a lexicon?
John-Paul McMahon

Post by John-Paul McMahon »

Excuse my ignorance here. I'm just starting out learning Greek and Hebrew.

The translation in the King James Version is as follows:

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

10:19 Ἕχοντες οὖν ἀδελφοί παῤῥησίαν εἰς τὴν εἴσοδον τῶν ἁγίων ἐν τῷ αἵματι Ἰησοῦ

10:20 ἣν ἐνεκαίνισεν ἡμῖν ὁδὸν πρόσφατον καὶ ζῶσαν διὰ τοῦ καταπετάσματος τουτέστιν τῆς σαρκὸς αὐτοῦ

My question pertains to the reference to "the holiest" in this verse. I am aware that the word to describe the veil can either mean the veil from the outside of the tabernacle into the sanctuary or the veil from the sanctuary into the Holy of Holies.

I understand the theological reasons for such a translation but I wonder if anyone can explain to me a linguistic reason as to why its is translated as such.

Thank you.
timothy_p_mcmahon

Re: Hebrews 10:19-20

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

I'm not aware of the use of τα αγια to refer to the veil of the temple. τα αγια is used to refer to the inner sanctum, the holy of holies, in LXX (I assume it's shorthand for τα αγια των αγιων, which is used for קדשׁ הקדשׁים).

Return to “Vocabulary”