pray for the whole armor of all saints

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Jonathan Robie

Re: pray for the whole armor of all saints

Post by Jonathan Robie »

linjinting wrote: February 4th, 2024, 11:24 pm Ephesus 6:18 “διὰ πάσης προσευχῆς καὶ δεήσεως, προσευχόμενοι ἐν παντὶ καιρῷ ἐν πνεύματι, καὶ εἰς αὐτὸ ἀγρυπνοῦντες ἐν πάσῃ προσκαρτερήσει καὶ δεήσει περὶ πάντων τῶν ἁγίων.” the αὐτὸ refers to the whole armor of God mentioned in the previous verses. 'εἰς αὐτὸ ἀγρυπνοῦντες ἐν πάσῃ προσκαρτερήσει καὶ δεήσει περὶ πάντων τῶν ἁγίων',the phrase is literally translated as ‘Be alert for the whole armor of God in very perseverance and be alert for the whole armor of God in prayer for All Saints’.
Are you saying something specific about some feature of the Greek text? If so, what?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Jonathan Robie wrote: February 5th, 2024, 6:03 pm
linjinting wrote: February 4th, 2024, 11:24 pm Ephesus 6:18 “διὰ πάσης προσευχῆς καὶ δεήσεως, προσευχόμενοι ἐν παντὶ καιρῷ ἐν πνεύματι, καὶ εἰς αὐτὸ ἀγρυπνοῦντες ἐν πάσῃ προσκαρτερήσει καὶ δεήσει περὶ πάντων τῶν ἁγίων.” the αὐτὸ refers to the whole armor of God mentioned in the previous verses. 'εἰς αὐτὸ ἀγρυπνοῦντες ἐν πάσῃ προσκαρτερήσει καὶ δεήσει περὶ πάντων τῶν ἁγίων',the phrase is literally translated as ‘Be alert for the whole armor of God in very perseverance and be alert for the whole armor of God in prayer for All Saints’.
Are you saying something specific about some feature of the Greek text? If so, what?
I think you may have deactivated the user unintentionally as part of the big group deactivation. His posts have disappeared. There are three threads in which you responded to him but the opening posts are missing. It can certainly happen when we are being overwhelmed by spam.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I am not convinced that linjting was a real user. The content looked like it may have been generated. He did not respond to feedback. He kept posting new threads as though nothing had been said. His email was suspicious.

If I am wrong, I hope he will let me know.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “What does this text mean?”