Rev 19:7

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Rev 19:7

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Cathrine,

Again:
Moises Silva, Biblical Words and their Meaning: An Introduction to Lexical Semantics, Zondervan 1983, revised ed. 1994.

Here are a few more titles, a reminder that you should drop in at your local Univ Lib (in Stirling Scotland ?)

J. P. Louw and E. A. Nida, Lexical Semantics of New Testament Greek, Scholars Press, 1992.

J. P. Louw, The Semantics of New Testament Greek, Fortress 1982.

James Barr, The Semantics of Biblical Language, Oxford 1961, Fortress 1984.

TOWARDS A NEW DICTIONARY OF BIBLICAL HEBREW BASED ON SEMANTIC DOMAINS
Reinier de Blois
United Bible Societies
Woerden (Utr.), The Netherlands 200x ?

This is a really old list. Mike A. if you are listening, do you have any recent titles on lexical semantics written for people who are not linguists?
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Ken M. Penner

Re: Rev 19:7

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Catherine Brown wrote:Just the same way that when jews are spoken of in the gospels, it means someone from the tribe of Judah as thats what the greek word means
Please have a look at the thread about understanding Ἰουδαῖος.
On the meaning of Ioudaios, David Miller has written the most comprehensive investigation I've seen (a 3-part series in Currents in Biblical Research).
See http://gervatoshav.blogspot.ca/2012/06/ ... pdate.html
and http://gervatoshav.blogspot.ca/2014/02/ ... ng-of.html
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “What does this text mean?”