Close enough?

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Wes Wood

Close enough?

Post by Wes Wood »

While looking at the different uses of ἐσθίω, I stumbled upon, and then over, the passage below. I don't know the context and I don't think it is possible--for me at least--to figure out exactly what is being said without it, but I am wondering if I have a general sense of it.
ὅθεν οὐδὲ τὴν θήραν αὐτῶν παρῆλθεν ὁ ζωγράφος, ἡ μὲν γὰρ ἔχεται τοῦ ποδός, ἡ δὲ ἄκρου τοῦ πτεροῦ, ἡ δὲ ἐσθίεται τῆς κεφαλῆς, ἀσπαίρουσι δὲ πειρώμεναι διαφυγεῖν: ὅμως οὐ ταράττουσιν οὐδὲ διαλύουσι τὸν ἱστόν.
“From which the painter has not passed by their hunt, for one is being held by the foot, and [another] by the top of the wing, and another’s head is being eaten, and they are panting from trying to escape: still they are not disturbing nor breaking up the web[?].”
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Hughes

Re: Close enough?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Philostr. Maj. Im. 2.28. The last few lines.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Sorry for the late response, Stephen. Thank you for finding that reference. You seem to be much better at such things than am I. :oops: With the entire passage in front of me, it didn't seem as bad. Thanks again!
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Wes Wood wrote:Sorry for the late response, Stephen. Thank you for finding that reference. You seem to be much better at such things than am I. :oops: With the entire passage in front of me, it didn't seem as bad. Thanks again!
Perhaps the big "G" works better from this side of the North Pacific. :lol:

Seriously, though, if you want to find a reference, cut-and-paste the most unfamiliar looking phrase from the passage into an efficient search-engine and it usually comes up. Occasionally, omitting the little words results in finding really obscure things in scanned, but not yet digitalised works.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

I did at least put the phrase in duckduckgo and yahoo before I posted, but I didn't get any hits. It may be a difference in search engines and Google appears to be better. However, I only use google at work where I must use a chromebook or log into google drive. For what it's worth, my post on Bgreek is the only that shows up in my results from yahoo even now. :lol:

Return to “What does this text mean?”