the usage of gender 'τα μωρα' in 1 Corinthians 1:27

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
camille

the usage of gender 'τα μωρα' in 1 Corinthians 1:27

Post by camille »

1 Corinthians 1: 27 ἀλλὰ τὰ μωρὰ τοῦ κόσμου ἐξελέξατο ὁ θεός, ἵνα καταισχύνῃ τοὺς σοφούς, καὶ τὰ ἀσθενῆ τοῦ κόσμου έξελέξατο ὁ θεός, ἵνα καταισχύνῃ τὰ ἰσχυρά,

τοὺς σοφούς , refers to men, 'the wisdom men', but 'τα μωρα, τα ασθενη, τα ισχυρα' , refers to neuter plural, 'the foolish things, the weak things, the strong things', why?

Are there any special implications in this usage of the different gender?
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: the usage of gender 'τα μωρα' in 1 Corinthians 1:27

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I would suggest that the neuters are more inclusive than the masculine. The masculine probably refers to persons. The neuters not only include persons but ideas and teachings, practices like the communal breaking of bread and drinking wine.

The parallelism is broken by using the masculine only once.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “What does this text mean?”