The Lord's Prayer Mt 6:9-13

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Verity Kethro

The Lord's Prayer Mt 6:9-13

Post by Verity Kethro »

Moderator note: please give us your first and last name so that we can update your screen name accordingly (B-Greek policy). Also, please remember that our discussions focus on discussion of the Greek, not English translation, and that includes citing and discussing the Greek. -- BH

Hello Friends,
Apologies if this is a duplicate thread. Please put me right:

I would like to know what influences the common decision of translators to render this passage in the plural we/us rather than the singular I/me? I'm no linguist - a simple Holy-Spirit filled physics teacher. I did a quick reckie using Bible Hub and it looked like either was plausible, in fact, perhaps the singular slightly more so?

I would appreciate your wisdom.
Verity
Barry Hofstetter

Re: The Lord's Prayer Mt 6:9-13

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

The text:

9 Οὕτως οὖν προσεύχεσθε ὑμεῖς
Πάτερ ἡμῶν ὁ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς
ἁγιασθήτω τὸ ὄνομά σου
10  ἐλθέτω ἡ βασιλεία σου
γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σουa,
ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ γῆς
11  τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον
12  καὶ ἄφες ἡμῖν τὰ ὀφειλήματα ἡμῶν,
ὡς καὶ ἡμεῖς ἀφήκαμεν τοῖς ὀφειλέταις ἡμῶν
13  καὶ μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν,
ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ.

I am not sure what you are seeing on Bible hub, but each of the pronouns above (marked in bold) is plural. There is no valid reason to render them as singulars. Any such "translation" would simply be wrong.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “What does this text mean?”