Jude 1:15

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
PhillipLebsack

Jude 1:15

Post by PhillipLebsack »

καὶ περὶ πάντων τῶν σκληρῶν ὧν ἐλάλησαν κατ’ αὐτοῦ ἁμαρτωλοὶ ἀσεβεῖς.

I notice that NET translates the underlined part as "the ungodly sinners". Logos says αμαρτωλος is an adjective. Can it be taken as "ungodly sinfulness"? It seems "sinfulness" would fit better for an adjective. Or is "sins" a valid translation? Sense "sinner" would be more like a noun, as "sin" would as well.
S Walch

Re: Jude 1:15

Post by S Walch »

ἁμαρτωλός is being used substantively; ἀσεβής being the descriptive adjective (these "sinners" are ungodly).

ἁμαρτωλοὶ are the subject of the verb λαλέω.

So yes, whilst ἁμαρτωλός is an adjective per se, most (quite a lot at least) adjectives can be used substantively/as a noun.

Return to “What does this text mean?”