In Acts 11:17 what is the nuance if any of the aorist participle?

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Bill Ross

In Acts 11:17 what is the nuance if any of the aorist participle?

Post by Bill Ross »

Acts 11:17

17 εἰ οὖν τὴν ἴσην δωρεὰν ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς ὁ θεὸς ὡς καὶ ἡμῖν **πιστεύσασιν** ἐπὶ τὸν κύριον Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν, ⸀ἐγὼ τίς ἤμην δυνατὸς κωλῦσαι τὸν θεόν;

Is it acting sort of like a pluperfect?
What I lack in youth I make up for in immaturity.
Jonathan Robie

Re: In Acts 11:17 what is the nuance if any of the aorist participle?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Bill Ross wrote: January 17th, 2019, 3:45 pm Acts 11:17

17 εἰ οὖν τὴν ἴσην δωρεὰν ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς ὁ θεὸς ὡς καὶ ἡμῖν **πιστεύσασιν** ἐπὶ τὸν κύριον Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν, ⸀ἐγὼ τίς ἤμην δυνατὸς κωλῦσαι τὸν θεόν;

Is it acting sort of like a pluperfect?
Hmmm, more like a perfect, no? In Greek, the aorist often does have a force much like the perfect, especially for stative verbs. I think this sentence probably implies ἔδωκεν in the phrase ὡς καὶ ἡμῖν, it was left out to be less repetitive, but it could have been written like this:
ὡς ἔδωκεν καὶ ἡμῖν πιστεύσασιν ἐπὶ τὸν κύριον Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν
And πιστεύσασιν is an aorist participle that indicates relative time with respect to the main verb, which is the implied ἔδωκεν. The state of believing preceded the giving. "As he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ", where πιστεύσασιν describes the state of believing that was there when the gift was given to us.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “What does this text mean?”