Why is there an article in this this sentance?

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Eduardo

Why is there an article in this this sentance?

Post by Eduardo »

λαμβάνομεν ταῦτα τὰ δῶρα ἀπὸ τοῦ αὐτοῦ καὶ βλέπομεν αὐτόν

I qm confused as to why there is a article "τοῦ" before a pefore a pronoun. I know αὐτοῦ can have different meanings but i dont know what grammar is going on here

Sentence from Machen's new testmenr greek for beginners
Jason Hare

Re: Why is there an article in this this sentance?

Post by Jason Hare »

Eduardo wrote: February 28th, 2023, 5:41 pm λαμβάνομεν ταῦτα τὰ δῶρα ἀπὸ τοῦ αὐτοῦ καὶ βλέπομεν αὐτόν

I qm confused as to why there is a article "τοῦ" before a pefore a pronoun. I know αὐτοῦ can have different meanings but i dont know what grammar is going on here

Sentence from Machen's new testmenr greek for beginners
What if the sentence had had ἀπὸ τοῦ αὐτοῦ ἀνθρώπου? Would that have made any difference to you? I think the author is trying to get you to think of the various uses of αὐτός, specifically when it is used attributively.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “What does this text mean?”