government of τηρέω

Grammar questions which are not related to any specific text.
John Wright

government of τηρέω

Post by John Wright »

I've been working my way through the online textbook by Dr. Shirley that was recommended -- super introduction, thanks to the those who suggested it and especially to the author.

One question from 16.3, number 9 and 16.5, number 8, copied below:

ὑµεῖς τηρεῖτε ἑαυτοὺς καθαροί.

οἱ ἁµαρτωλοὶ οὐ τηροῦσιν ἑαυτοὺς καθαρούς.

In the first sentence, it seems τηρέω takes accusative and nominative arguments, but in the second, accusative and accusative.

Does τηρέω allow both types of government in free variation, or am I missing something here?

My apologies if I've missed the obvious explanation in this very book. Same apologies if there's an easy way to find the answer in Smyth, which I know is online, but I got bogged down in looking around for this.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: government of τηρέω

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I believe the first one has to be a typo. "You clean ones keep yourselves" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It should be καθαρούς.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Shirley Rollinson

Re: government of τηρέω

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:I believe the first one has to be a typo. "You clean ones keep yourselves" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It should be καθαρούς.
Thank you so much - yes, you're correct. And I'm still finding an embarrassing number of typos and mistakes.
Please do let me know if you find more.
I've just put up about 10 corrected chapters onto the website.
Thank you
Shirley Rollinson

Return to “Grammar Questions”