Isaiah Chapter 16

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 16

Post by Ken M. Penner »

16.1 ἀποστελῶ ὡς ἑρπετὰ ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς.

91. Moab will flee (16:1-4)
Μὴ πέτρα ἔρημός ἐστιν τὸ ὄρος θυγατρὸς Σιών; 2 ἔσῃ γὰρ ὡς πετεινοῦ ἀνιπταμένου νεοσσὸς ἀφῃρημένος, θυγάτηρ Μωάβ. ἔπειτα δέ, Ἀρνών, 3 πλείονα βουλεύου, ποιεῖτε σκέπην πένθους αὐτῇ διὰ παντός· ἐν μεσημβρινῇ σκοτίᾳ φεύγουσιν, ἐξέστησαν, μὴ ἀπάρχης 4 παροικήσουσίν σοι οἱ φυγάδες Μωάβ, ἔσονται σκέπη ὑμῖν ἀπὸ προσώπου διώκοντος, ὅτι ἤρθη ἡ συμμαχία σου, καὶ ὁ ἄρχων ἀπώλετο ὁ καταπατῶν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς.
92. David’s throne restored (16:5)
5 καὶ διορθωθήσεται μετʼ ἐλέους θρόνος, καὶ καθίεται ἐπʼ αὐτοῦ μετὰ ἀληθείας ἐν σκηνῇ Δαυιδ κρίνων καὶ ἐκζητῶν κρίμα καὶ σπεύδων δικαιοσύνην.

93. The insolence of Moab (16:6-7)
6 Ἠκούσαμεν τὴν ὕβριν Μωάβ, ὑβριστὴς σφόδρα, τὴν ὑπερηφανίαν ἐξῆρα. οὐχ οὕτως ἡ μαντεία σου, 7 οὐχ οὕτως. ὀλολύξει Μωάβ, ἐν γὰρ τῇ Μωαβίτιδι ἀπάντες ὀλολύξουσιν· τοῖς κατοικοῦσιν Δέσεθ.

94. Wandering across the wilderness (16:7-8)
Μελετήσεις καὶ οὐκ ἐντραπήσῃ. 8 τὰ πεδία Ἑσεβὼν πενθήσει, ἄμπελος Ἐβαμά· καταπίνοντες τὰ ἔθνη καταπατήσετε τὰς ἀμπέλους αὐτῆς ἕως Ἰαζήρ· οὐ μὴ συνάψητε, ἐπλανήθητε τὴν ἔρημον· οἱ ἀπεσταλμένοι ἐγκατελείφθησαν, διέβησαν γὰρ τὴν ἔρημον.
95. Moab’s harvest will fail (16:9-12)
9 διὰ τοῦτο κλαύσομαι ὡς τὸν κλαυθμὸν Ιαζηρ ἄμελον Σεβαμά· τὰ δένδρα σου κατέλαβεν, Ἑσεβὼν καὶ ἐλάλησεν Ἀλή, ἔτι ἐπὶ τῷ θερισμῷ καὶ ἐπὶ τῷ τρυγήτῳ σου καταπατήσω, καὶ πάντα πεσοῦνται. 10 καὶ ἀρθήσεται εὐφροσύνη καὶ ἀγαλλίαμα ἐκ τῶν ἀμπελώνων σου, καὶ ἐν τοῖς ἀμπελῶσίν σου οὐ μὴ εὐφρανθήσονται καὶ οὐ μὴ πατήσουσιν οἶνον εἰς τὰ ὑπολήνια, πέπαυται γάρ. 11 διὰ τοῦτο ἡ κοιλία μου ἐπὶ Μωὰβ ὡς κιθάρα ἠχήσει.

Καὶ τὰ ἐντός μου ὡσεὶ τεῖχος, ὃ ἐνεκαίνισας. 12 καὶ ἔσται εἰς τὸ ἐντραπῆναί σε, ὅτι ἐκοπίασεν Μωὰβ ἐπὶ τοῖς βωμοῖς καὶ εἰσελεύσεται εἰς τὰ χειροποίητα αὐτῆς ὥστε προσεύξασθαι, καὶ οὐ μὴ δύνηται ἐξελέσθαι αὐτόν.

96. Moab’s three-year fate (16:13-17:1)
13 Τοῦτο τὸ ῥῆμα, ὃ ἐλάλησεν Κύριος ἐπὶ Μωάβ, ὁπότε καὶ ἐλάλησεν. 14 καὶ νῦν λέγω Ἐν τρισὶν ἔτεσιν ἐτῶν μισθωτοῦ ἀτιμασθήσεται ἡ δόξα Μωὰβ ἐν παντὶ τῷ πλούτῳ τῷ πολλῷ, καὶ καταλειφθήσεται ὀλιγοστὸς.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 16 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

16.1 I will send from the land like reptiles.

91. Moab will flee (16:1-4)
Is the mountain of the daughter of Sion a deserted rock? 2 For you will be like a nestling taken away from a flying bird, a daughter of Moab! And then, Arnon, 3 deliberate more, and make a shelter of grief for her through it all. At noon they flee in darkness; they were amazed; not an official. 4 The fugitives of Moab will dwell beside you; they will be a shelter for you from a pursuer’s face, because your alliance was taken away, and the ruler who was trampling upon the land perished.
92. David’s throne restored (16:5)
5 And a throne will be restored with mercy, and he will sit on it with truth in David’s tent, judging and seeking a fair verdict and eagerly pursuing righteousness.

93. The insolence of Moab (16:6-7)
6 We heard of the insolence of Moab, extremely insolent; I lifted up the arrogance; not so is your oracle, 7 not so. Moab will wail, for in Moabitis all will wail for those inhabiting Deseth.

94. Wandering across the wilderness (16:7-8)
You will care and you will not feel misgiving. 8 The plains of Esebon will mourn, vine of Ebema. Gulping down the nations, you will trample its vines as far as Iazer. Certainly you will not unite; you wandered the wilderness; those sent have been forsaken, for they went across the wilderness.
95. Moab’s harvest will fail (16:9-12)
9 Because of this, I will weep like the weeping of Iazer for the vine of Sebama. He seized your trees, Esebon, and he spoke, Ale,, I will still trample on your harvest and vintage, and all things will fall. 10 And happiness will be taken away; and rejoicing from your vineyard; and in your vineyards certainly they will not be cheered and certainly they will not tread wine into the vats, for it has ceased. 11 Because of this, my belly will sound upon Moab like a lyre

And my innards like a city wall that you restored. 12 And it will be for you to feel shame, because Moab grew weary over the altars, and it will enter its handmade things in order to pray and certainly will not be able to extract him.

96. Moab’s three-year fate (16:13-17:1)
13 This is the word that Lord spoke upon Moab when he also spoke. 14 And now I say, In three years of the years of a hired worker, the glory of Moab will not be valued, with all its great wealth, and it will be left few in number.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Series on Isaiah”