Isaiah Chapter 33

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 33

Post by Ken M. Penner »

33.1 Οὐαὶ τοῖς ταλαιπωροῦσιν ὑμᾶς, ὑμᾶς δὲ γὰρ οὐδεὶς ποιεῖ ταλαιπώρους, καὶ ὁ ἀθετῶν ὑμᾶς οὐκ ἀθετεῖ· ἁλώσονται οἱ ἀθετοῦντες καὶ παραδοθήσονται καὶ ὡς σὴς ἐπὶ ἱματίῳ οὕτως ἡττηθήσονται.

196. Lord, have pity on us (33:2-4)
2 Κύριε, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς, ἐπὶ σοὶ γὰρ πεποίθαμεν· ἐγενήθη τὸ σπέρμα τῶν ἀπειθούντων εἰς ἀπώλειαν, ἡ δὲ σωτηρία ἡμῶν ἐν καιρῷ θλίψεως. 3 διὰ φωνὴν τοῦ φόβου σου ἐξέστησαν λαοὶ ἀπὸ τοῦ φόβου σου, καὶ διεσπάρησαν τὰ ἔθνη. 4 νῦν δὲ συναχθήσεται τὰ σκῦλα ἡμῶν μικροῦ καὶ μεγάλου· ὃν τρόπον ἐάν τις συναγάγῃ ἀκρίδας, οὕτως ἐμπαίξουσιν ὑμῖν.

197. Warehouses of righteousness (33:5-9)
5 Ἅγιος ὁ θεὸς ὁ κατοικῶν ἐν ὑψηλοῖς, ἐνεπλήσθη Σιὼν κρίσεως καὶ δικαιοσύνης. 6 ἐν νόμῳ παραδοθήσονται, ἐν θησαυροῖς ἡ σωτηρία ἡμῶν, ἐκεῖ σοφία καὶ ἐπιστήμη καὶ εὐσέβεια πρὸς τὸν θεὸν· οὗτοί εἰσιν θησαυροὶ δικαιοσύνης.
198. Those you feared will fear you (33:7-9)
7 ἰδοὺ δὴ ἐν τῷ φόβῳ ὑμῶν αὐτοὶ φοβηθήσονται · οὓς ἐφοβεῖσθε, βοήσονται ἀφʼ ὑμῶν· ἄγγελοι γὰρ ἀποσταλήσονται πικρῶς κλαίοντες παρακαλοῦντες εἰρήνην. 8 ἐρημωθήσονται γὰρ αἱ τούτων ὁδοί· πέπαυται ὁ φόβος τῶν ἐθνῶν, καὶ ἡ πρὸς τούτους διαθήκη αἴρεται, καὶ οὐ μὴ λογίσησθε αὐτοὺς ἀνθρώπους. 9 ἐπένθησεν ἡ γῆ, ᾐσχύνθη ὁ Λίβανος, ἕλη ἐγένετο ἄσαρων· φανερὰ ἔσται ἡ Γαλιλαία καὶ ὁ Κάρμηλος.

199. Now I will be exalted and you will see (33:10-12)
10 Νῦν ἀναστήσομαι, λέγει Κύριος, νῦν δοξασθήσομαι, νῦν ὑψωθήσομαι· 11 νῦν ὄψεσθε, νῦν αἰσθηθήσεσθε· ματαία δὲ ἔσται ἡ ἰσχὺς τοῦ πνεύματος ὑμῶν, πῦρ ὑμᾶς κατέδεται. 12 καὶ ἔσονται ἔθνη κατακεκαυμένα ὡς ἄκανθα ἐν ἀγρῷ ἐρρισμμένη καὶ κατακεκαυμένη.

200. All will know my power (33:13-14)
13 Ἀκούσονται οἱ πόρρωθεν ἃ ἐποίησα, γνώσονται οἱ ἐγγίζοντες τὴν ἰσχύν μου. 14 ἀπέστησαν οἱ ἐν Σιὼν ἄνομοι, λήμψεται τρόμος τοὺς ἀσεβεῖς·
201. The blameless will warn you (33:14-15)
τίς ἀναγγελεῖ ὑμῖν ὅτι πῦρ καὶ ἔσται; τίς ἀναγγελεῖ ὑμῖν τὸν τόπον τὸν αἰώνιον; 15 πορευόμενος ἄμωμος ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ, λαλῶν εὐθεῖαν ὁδόν, μισῶν ἀνομίαν καὶ ἀδικίαν καὶ τὰς χεῖρας ἀποσειόμενος καὶ ἀπὸ δώρων, βαρύνων τὰ ὦτα ἵνα μὴ ἀκούσῃ κρίσιν αἵματος, καμμύων τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς ἵνα μὴ ἴδῃ ἀδικίαν,
202. You will see distant land (33:16-18)
16 οὗτος οἰκήσῃ ἐν ὑψηλῷ σπηλαίῳ πέτρας ἰσχυρᾶς· ἄρτος αὐτῷ δοθήσεται, καὶ τὸ ὕδωρ αὐτοῦ πιστόν. 17 βασιλέα μετὰ δόξης ὄψεσθε, οἱ ὀφθαλμοὶ ὑμῶν ὄψονται γῆν πόρρωθεν.

18 Ἡ ψυχὴ ἡμῶν μελετήσει φόβον·
203. Where are the scholars? (33:18-19)
ποῦ εἰσιν οἱ γραμματικοί; ποῦ εἰσιν οἱ συμβουλεύοντες; ποῦ ἐστιν ὁ ἀριθμῶν τοὺς συστρεφομένους 19 μικρὸν καὶ μέγαν λαόν; ᾧ οὐ συνεβουλεύσαντο οὐδὲ ᾔδει βαθύφωνον ὥστε μὴ ἀκοῦσαι λαὸς πεφαυλισμένος, καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν τῷ ἀκούοντι σύνεσις.

204. Jerusalem is our salvation (33:20-22)
20 Ἰδοὺ Σιὼν ἡ πόλις τὸ σωτήριον ἡμῶν· οἱ ὀφθαλμοί σου ὄψονται Ἰερουσαλήμ, πόλις πλουσία, σκηναὶ αἳ οὐ μὴ σεισθῶσιν, οὐδὲ μὴ κινηθῶσιν οἱ πάσσαλοι τῆς σκηνῆς αὐτῆς εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα χρόνον, οὐδὲ τὰ σχοινία αὐτῆς οὐ μὴ διαρραγῶσιν. 21 ὅτι τὸ ὄνομα Κυρίου μέγα ὑμῖν· τόπος ὑμῖν ἔσται, ποταμοὶ καὶ διώρυγες πλατεῖς καὶ εὐρύχωροι· οὐ πορεύσῃ ταύτην τὴν ὁδόν, οὐδὲ πορεύσεται πλοῖον ἐλαῦνον. 22 ὁ γὰρ θεός μου Μέγαρ ἐστίν, οὐ παρελεύσεταί με.

205. Lord our king will save us (33:22-24)
Κύριος κριτὴς ἡμῶν.
Κύριος ἄρχων ἡμῶν.
Κύριος βασιλεὺς ἡμῶν.
Κύριος οὗτος ἡμᾶς
σώσει. 23 ἐρράγησαν τὰ σχοινία σου, ὅτι οὐκ ἐνίσχυσεν· ὁ ἱστός σου ἔκλινεν, οὐ χαλάσει τὰ ἱστία· οὐκ ἀρεῖ σημεῖον, ἕως οὗ παραδοθῇ εἰς προνομήν· τοίνυν πολλοὶ χωλοὶ προνομὴν ποιήσουσιν. 24 καὶ οὐ μὴ εἴπῃ Ὁ λαὸς ὁ ἐνοικῶν ἐν αὐτοῖς κοπιῶ· ἀφέθη γὰρ αὐτοῖς ἡ ἁμαρτία.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 33 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

33.1 Woe to those who distress you, for no one makes you distressed, and the one who rejects you does not reject; those who reject will be captured, and they will be handed over, and like a moth on a garment, so they will be defeated.

196. Lord, have pity on us (33:2-4)
2 Lord, have pity on us, for we trust on you. The seed of the disobedient turned into destruction, but our deliverance is in a time of oppression. 3 Because of the sound of the fear of you, peoples were amazed because of the fear of you, and the nations were scattered. 4 But now our spoils will be gathered, that of small and of great. As one might gather grasshoppers, so they will ridicule you.

197. Warehouses of righteousness (33:5-9)
5 God who dwells in high places is holy; Sion was filled with fair judgment and righteousness. 6 By a law they will be handed over. Our deliverance is in store-houses; wisdom and knowledge and piety towards God are there; these are store-houses of righteousness.
198. Those you feared will fear you (33:7-9)
7 Look, now; they themselves will be frightened with the fear of you; those whom you feared cry out because of you; for messengers will be sent bitterly weeping, beseeching peace. 8 For the ways of these people will be made desolate; the fear of the nations has ceased and the covenant with these people is being revoked, and certainly you will not consider them persons. 9 The land mourned; Lebanon was ashamed; Asaron became marshes; Galilaia and Karmel will be visible.

199. Now I will be exalted and you will see (33:10-12)
10 Now I will rise, says Lord. Now I will be glorified; now I will be exalted. 11 Now you will see; now you will perceive. The strength of your breath will be pointless; fire will devour you. 12 And nations will be burned up like a thorn in a field, thrown out and burned up.

200. All will know my power (33:13-14)
13 Those far away will hear the things that I did; those who come near will know my strength. 14 The lawbreakers in Sion departed; trembling will take hold of the impious.
201. The blameless will warn you (33:14-15)
Who will tell you that there will also be a fire? Who will tell you about the eternal place? 15 One who walks blamelessly in righteousness, speaks in a right way, hates lawlessness and wrongdoing, and shakes off his hands from gifts, who dulls his ears so that he might not hear a judgement of blood, shuts his eyes so that he might not see wrong-doing.
202. You will see distant land (33:16-18)
16 May this man reside in a high cave of a strong rock; bread will be given to him, and his water will be secure. 17 You will see a king with glory; your eyes will see a land from afar.

18 Our soul will think about fear.
203. Where are the scholars? (33:18-19)
Where are the scholars? Where are the advisors? Where is the one who numbers those who grow up, 19 a small and great people, by whom a disparaged people did not know deep speech so as not to hear, and there is no comprehension for the hearer.

204. Jerusalem is our salvation (33:20-22)
20 Look, the city of Sion is our salvation! Your eyes will see Jerusalem, a wealthy city: tents that certainly will not be shaken; and the pegs of its tent will not be moved for eternity time, and certainly its cord will not be broken. 21 Because the name of Lord is great to you, there will be a place for you, rivers and canals, broad and spacious. You will not go this way, nor will a ship go driving along. 22 For my God is Megar; he will not pass me by.

205. Lord our king will save us (33:22-24)
Lord is our judge;
Lord is our ruler;
Lord is our king;
This lord will save us! 23 Your cords have broken because they were not strong; your mast has bent over; it will not release the sails; it will not raise a signal until it is handed over for plunder. Accordingly, many lame will make plunder. 24 And certainly the people who dwell in them will not say, I am weary, for the sin has been forgiven them.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Series on Isaiah”