Matt 7:14 τί or ότι

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jordan Day

Matt 7:14 τί or ότι

Post by Jordan Day » April 4th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Matt 7:13-14 wrote:13 Εἰσέλθατε διὰ τῆς στενῆς πύλης· ὅτι πλατεῖα ἡ πύλη καὶ εὐρύχωρος ἡ ὁδὸς ἡ ἀπάγουσα εἰς τὴν ἀπώλειαν, καὶ πολλοί εἰσιν οἱ εἰσερχόμενοι δι’ αὐτῆς· 14 [ὅ]τι στενὴ ἡ πύλη καὶ τεθλιμμένη ἡ ὁδὸς ἡ ἀπάγουσα εἰς τὴν ζωήν, καὶ ὀλίγοι εἰσὶν οἱ εὑρίσκοντες αὐτήν.
Metzger says: "Besides having wide external support the reading τί also has strong internal probabilities in its favor. There is no reason why the familiar ότι, if original, should have been altered to τί, used here to represent the Semitic exclamation מֶ֥ה ("how!" compare Ps 139:17). On the other hand, copyist who did not perceive the underlying Semitism would have been tempted to assimilate τί to the preceding ότι of ver. 13."

The critical apparatus shows the assimilation to ότι very early, and even some printed editions who's editors haven't made the Semitic connection have followed the ότι reading.

My questions are, how did the author of Matthew understand this Semitism? Was he thinking in Aramaic but it came out in Greek? Was this an expression that Greek speaking Jews would have used regularly? Are there any other examples of this usage anywhere else? Is it a lingual blunder or a legitimate use of τί in 1st century bi-lingual Jewish circles?
Last edited by Stephen Carlson on April 4th, 2012, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added citation to quote
0 x

Jordan Day
Master Plumber (Non-Restricted) - CCSD
φάγωμεν καὶ πίωμεν, αὔριον γὰρ ἀποθνῄσκομεν.

Stephen Carlson

Re: Matt 7:14 τί or ότι

Post by Stephen Carlson » April 5th, 2012, 6:54 am

We had a big long discussion about a similar usage in John 8:25.
0 x
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

David Lim

Post by David Lim » April 5th, 2012, 11:47 am

Stephen Carlson wrote:We had a big long discussion about a similar usage in John 8:25.
I think he is asking about a different usage? (in Matt 7:14 "τι" means "how...!" and "οτι" would mean "because"; in John 8:25 the discussion was on whether "οτι" can mean "why...?") I asked the same question about Matt 7:14 last year here: Matt 7:14 - τι
0 x
δαυιδ λιμ

Jordan Day

Post by Jordan Day » April 5th, 2012, 2:27 pm

David Lim wrote:
I think he is asking about a different usage? (in Matt 7:14 "τι" means "how...!" and "οτι" would mean "because"; in John 8:25 the discussion was on whether "οτι" can mean "why...?") I asked the same question about Matt 7:14 last year here: Matt 7:14 - τι
Yes! Thank you very much for the link David. I will review those responses. And thank you Stephen for that other link as well. Even though it was a slightly different subject matter, I certainly benefited from reading the thread.
Ίορδάνης
0 x
Jordan Day
Master Plumber (Non-Restricted) - CCSD
φάγωμεν καὶ πίωμεν, αὔριον γὰρ ἀποθνῄσκομεν.

Return to “New Testament”