John 3:8 τὸ πνεῦμα ὅπου θέλει πνεῖ

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
grogers

John 3:8 τὸ πνεῦμα ὅπου θέλει πνεῖ

Post by grogers »

Perhaps someone can offer me an explanation for what seems to be a overwhelmingly accepted translation of the this verse by the body of scholarship. In the vast majority of the English translations τὸ πνεῦμα ὅπου θέλει πνεῖ is translated as "The wind blows where it wishes." I find this rather interesting since in the 383 times that πνεῦμα appears in the NT in its various forms, it is translated as spirit in every case except in John 3:8. Is there something I am missing here?
Glen Rogers
Barry Hofstetter

Re: John 3:8 τὸ πνεῦμα ὅπου θέλει πνεῖ

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

grogers wrote:Perhaps someone can offer me an explanation for what seems to be a overwhelmingly accepted translation of the this verse by the body of scholarship. In the vast majority of the English translations τὸ πνεῦμα ὅπου θέλει πνεῖ is translated as "The wind blows where it wishes." I find this rather interesting since in the 383 times that πνεῦμα appears in the NT in its various forms, it is translated as spirit in every case except in John 3:8. Is there something I am missing here?
It's a contextual issue. πνεὖμα here is the subject of πνεἶ, and this would trigger in the mind of most readers which part of the semantic range of πνεὖμα is in the author's mind. There is also the comparison. To understand πνεὖμα here as "Spirit" would rob the analogy of its force.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
grogers

Post by grogers »

It's a contextual issue. πνεὖμα here is the subject of πνεἶ, and this would trigger in the mind of most readers which part of the semantic range of πνεὖμα is in the author's mind. There is also the comparison. To understand πνεὖμα here as "Spirit" would rob the analogy of its force.
Well, possibly, but isn't the force of this analogy created solely on the translation of πνεὖμα as wind? I understand the various possible rendering of πνεὖμα but what would this change in one's understanding of this verse if it is translated "The spirit breaths where it wills"?
Glen Rogers
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

grogers wrote:
Well, possibly, but isn't the force of this analogy created solely on the translation of πνεὖμα as wind? I understand the various possible rendering of πνεὖμα but what would this change in one's understanding of this verse if it is translated "The spirit breaths where it wills"?
Perhaps I'm simply saying what's obvious, but the fact that πνευμα in Greek, like ruach in Hebrew and spiritus in Latin, is a metaphoric extension from verbs in these same languages that can mean both "blow" and "breathe" would seem to indicate that the analogy is being drawn to comparable instances of unpredictability in the volatile "substance" for which these languages use the single word.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

grogers wrote:... in the 383 times that πνεῦμα appears in the NT in its various forms, it is translated as spirit in every case except in John 3:8.
Really? Check out the translations of the passages listed for various senses here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/resources ... tml#πνεῦμα
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
grogers

Post by grogers »

Jonathan Robie wrote:
Really? Check out the translations of the passages listed for various senses here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/resources ... tml#πνεῦμα
Thanks a lot for the link. This is a bigger help than biblehub.
Last edited by grogers on April 1st, 2014, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Rogers
grogers

Post by grogers »

cwconrad wrote: Perhaps I'm simply saying what's obvious, but the fact that πνευμα in Greek, like ruach in Hebrew and spiritus in Latin, is a metaphoric extension from verbs in these same languages that can mean both "blow" and "breathe" would seem to indicate that the analogy is being drawn to comparable instances of unpredictability in the volatile "substance" for which these languages use the single word.
Yes, that makes sense.
Glen Rogers

Return to “New Testament”