how to find a list of greek Manuscripts

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
josephroberts

how to find a list of greek Manuscripts

Post by josephroberts »

I would like to find somewhere online where i can find all manuscripts known in greek that contain a particular verse. is there somewhere online that i can do that?
Jonathan Robie

Re: how to find a list of greek Manuscripts

Post by Jonathan Robie »

josephroberts wrote:I would like to find somewhere online where i can find all manuscripts known in greek that contain a particular verse. is there somewhere online that i can do that?
I believe the Center for New Testament Restoration's manuscripts pages list all Greek manuscripts before 400 AD, in a very convenient form.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Pat Ferguson

Post by Pat Ferguson »

You'll find a list of Greek language manuscripts by name, number, date, type and content at http://www.laparola.net/greco/manoscritti.php
"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is properly your god." (Martin Luther, Large Catechism 1.1-3)
josephroberts

Post by josephroberts »

What i am trying to accomplish is this,

I am aware of 8 possibly 9 manuscripts that contain 1 John 5:7 the comma Johaneum, four of which contain them in the margins and the others being quite late. I am just curious how many copies of 1 john chapter 5 that we have do these 9 represent 50% of all greek manuscripts available or are they a mere trifle of what we have in greek?

thanks
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

josephroberts wrote:What i am trying to accomplish is this,

I am aware of 8 possibly 9 manuscripts that contain 1 John 5:7 the comma Johaneum, four of which contain them in the margins and the others being quite late. I am just curious how many copies of 1 john chapter 5 that we have do these 9 represent 50% of all greek manuscripts available or are they a mere trifle of what we have in greek?

thanks
I think you're basically right. See this article.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

josephroberts wrote:What i am trying to accomplish is this,

I don't have the Edito Critica Major for 1 John on hand, but if I recall correctly there are several hundred Greek manuscripts of this epistle. Of course, textual criticism is about a lot more than counting up the manuscripts.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
spuluka

Post by spuluka »

You may be interesting in joining the Text Criticism forum over on Yahoo groups. This is the type of questions that are discussed in this discipline.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tex ... icism/info

For a full discussion of the issue and listing of evidence current at the time, Raymond Brown's commentary in the Anchor Bible Series is one of the better and more accessible in English.
Steve Puluka
MA, Theology Duquesne University
Cantor Holy Ghost Church
Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
Mckees Rocks, PA

Return to “New Testament”