Luke 8:27 οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον ... ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jonathan Robie

Luke 8:27 οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον ... ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Luke 8:27 wrote:καὶ χρόνῳ ἱκανῷ οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον, καὶ ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν ἀλλ’ ἐν τοῖς μνήμασιν.
I'm chewing on οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον (aorist) ... ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν (imperfect). I was expecting ἐνδύω to be in the imperfect (ἐνεδιδύσκετο), whether in the sense of "put on" - "for a long time he would not put on clothes", or possibly in the sense of "wear clothes" (as many English translations seem to take it), "for a long time he did not wear clothes".

How do context (χρόνῳ ἱκανῷ ), negation (οὐκ), tense (imperfect), and the lexical aspect of ἐνδύω work together in this phrase?

Also: Alan Bunning's site shows three variants of this word among early manuscripts: ενεδυϲατο, ενεδιδυϲκετο, ενεδυδιϲκετο. What on earth is ενεδυδιϲκετο? Is that a misspelling in the manuscript, an error on Alan's part, or a form I am failing to recognize?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
cwconrad

Re: Luke 8:27 οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον ... ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν

Post by cwconrad »

Jonathan Robie wrote:
Luke 8:27 wrote:καὶ χρόνῳ ἱκανῷ οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον, καὶ ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν ἀλλ’ ἐν τοῖς μνήμασιν.
I'm chewing on οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον (aorist) ... ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν (imperfect). I was expecting ἐνδύω to be in the imperfect (ἐνεδιδύσκετο), whether in the sense of "put on" - "for a long time he would not put on clothes", or possibly in the sense of "wear clothes" (as many English translations seem to take it), "for a long time he did not wear clothes".

How do context (χρόνῳ ἱκανῷ ), negation (οὐκ), tense (imperfect), and the lexical aspect of ἐνδύω work together in this phrase?

Also: Alan Bunning's site shows three variants of this word among early manuscripts: ενεδυϲατο, ενεδιδυϲκετο, ενεδυδιϲκετο. What on earth is ενεδυδιϲκετο? Is that a misspelling in the manuscript, an error on Alan's part, or a form I am failing to recognize?
I haven't consulted any resources or checked variants, but my immediate assumption upon looking at this text is that ἐνεδύσατο is here to be understood with what (I guess) is called "temporal deixis" -- χρόνῳ ἱκανῷ -- as equivalent to a pluperfect, while ἔμενεν is rather to be understood in terms of recurrent/repeated action: "In a considerable time-span he hadn't put on a tunic and he would not stay in a house but (rather) in burial caves."
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jonathan Robie wrote:
Why οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον (aorist), but ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν (imperfect)?
Byzantine Text wrote:ὃς εἶχεν δαιμόνια ἐκ χρόνων ἱκανῶν, καὶ ἱμάτιον οὐκ ἐνεδιδύσκετο, καὶ ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν, ἀλλ’ ἐν τοῖς μνήμασιν.
Eclectic Text wrote:ἔχων δαιμόνια καὶ χρόνῳ ἱκανῷ οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον, καὶ ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν, ἀλλ’ ἐν τοῖς μνήμασιν.
The Byzantine text-form has all imperfects "had not been wearing" while the eclectic text's aorist might mean "had never put on".
Mark 15:17 wrote:Καὶ ἐνδύουσιν [Byz] / ἐνδιδύσκουσιν [Eclect.] αὐτὸν πορφύραν,
"They dressed him" / "They caused him to wear"

The opposite ἐκδύειν is only used in the aorist in the New Testament, presumably because the action of taking off clothing is only ever momentary, and the extended action after it is described adjectivally γυμνός.

I think that the difference between γυμνός and ἱμάτιον οὐκ ἐνεδιδύσκετο / οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον is that γυμνός is something that the person feels either shame or cold, while οὐκ ἐνεδιδύσκετο / οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον refers to the point of view of others, and simply what they perceive (see).
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Any thoughts on this part?
Jonathan Robie wrote:What on earth is ενεδυδιϲκετο? Is that a misspelling in the manuscript, an error on Alan's part, or a form I am failing to recognize?
I've been able to confirm that Alan is correctly recording what is in (at least some of) the manuscripts, but what is this form?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Any thoughts on this part?
Jonathan Robie wrote:What on earth is ενεδυδιϲκετο? Is that a misspelling in the manuscript, an error on Alan's part, or a form I am failing to recognize?
I've been able to confirm that Alan is correctly recording what is in (at least some of) the manuscripts, but what is this form?
The verb is cited by BDAG as ἐνδιδύσκω; it looks like the scribe reversed the iota and upsilon to produce ενεδυδιϲκετο. The verb should probably be lemmatized as middle. It's a reduplicated and frequentative form of ἐνδύεσθαι, root δυ-.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

cwconrad wrote:
Jonathan Robie wrote:Any thoughts on this part?
The verb is cited by BDAG as ἐνδιδύσκω; it looks like the scribe reversed the iota and upsilon to produce ενεδυδιϲκετο. The verb should probably be lemmatized as middle. It's a reduplicated and frequentative form of ἐνδύεσθαι, root δυ-.
If it's late enough, ι and υ would have sounded the same.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “New Testament”