ὅσοι and other issues in Acts 13,48

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: ὅσοι and other issues in Acts 13,48

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Peter Streitenberger wrote:Dear Carl, and friends,

of course I could not provide a full inductive proof that ἦσαν τεταγμένοι never can be treated as Medium, but I couldn't find a clear instance and the examples I quoted show - at least in my impression - no involvement of the subject in the action.
I tried to gain an oversight for this Syntagma and was not able to find one - maybe I've overlooked something, that is always possible. Of course there could be an unnamed agens for such a determination to eternal life. We all know - without being theological - that God is often not named by using a passive construction.
So I personally conclude a passive construction, with maybe God as actor.
Yours
Peter, Germany
Just so you know, in English we tend to say "middle" rather than medium, and syntax rather than syntagma. I think your conclusion makes best sense from the context. Another factor to consider is that the middle understood reflexively has largely dropped out of Greek by the first century C.E., and if a reflexive idea needs to be expressed, one tends to find a reflexive pronoun used. Of course, even in classical Greek a reflexive use of the middle is rare, despite beginning students' desire always so to translate it. The actual use of the middle (and even the passive, as Carl has so effectively demonstrated above) is quite a bit more subtle than that.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Peter Streitenberger

Re: ὅσοι and other issues in Acts 13,48

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Dear Barry,
ok, thanks for all the help ! I now feel that I understand this sentence better than bevor. Some important questions could be answered.
Yours
Peter

Return to “New Testament”