the reference of πανοικὶ in Acts 16,43

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Peter Streitenberger

the reference of πανοικὶ in Acts 16,43

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Dear friends and colleagues,

in Acts 16,43 it states:
Ἀναγαγών τε αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸν οἶκον αὐτοῦ παρέθηκεν τράπεζαν, καὶ ἠγαλλιᾶτο πανοικὶ πεπιστευκὼς τῷ θεῷ.

The Darby translation, I prefer for the English renders that sentence as following:

And having brought them into his house he laid the table for them, and rejoiced with all his house, having believed in God.

But the NKJ provides this solution:

Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household.

Now is the question, if πανοικὶ goes with ἠγαλλιᾶτο as Darby translates or with πεπιστευκὼς as NKJ suggests. What method could help to decide where πανοικὶ should be connected with?

All help is welcome! I have currently no idea how to decide this case. Maybe a parallel example within Luke's writings....
Yours
Peter, Germany
Stephen Hughes

Re: the reference of πανοικὶ in Acts 16,43

Post by Stephen Hughes »

In Acts 16:34, I think that παρέθηκεν τράπεζαν, καὶ ἠγαλλιᾶτο πανοικὶ looks like one unit.

For other examples:
Wisdom 19:8 wrote:δι’ οὗ πανεθνεὶ διῆλθον οἱ τῇ σῇ σκεπαζόμενοι χειρὶ θεωρήσαντες θαυμαστὰ τέρατα.
Luke 23:18 wrote:Ἀνέκραξαν δὲ παμπληθεί, λέγοντες, Αἶρε τοῦτον, ἀπόλυσον δὲ ἡμῖν Βαραββᾶν·
[cf. παγγενεί "with the (one's) whole race", πανδημεί "... people" , πανομιλεί "... troop", παμμελεί "members" or "tunes"???, παμψηφεί "with all the votes".]
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Peter Streitenberger

Dear Stephen, dear friends,
ok, thank you, Stephen for beginning this issue. Are there any more arguments? I couldn't explain others why this or that solution is to prefer. If you or someone else could provide some further reasons or examples, I'd be happy.
Yours
Peter
Stephen Hughes

Re: the reference of πανοικὶ in Acts 16,34

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Peter,

Yes there are a few others that I would make more readily if I lived in different circumstances.

I don't see how Greek could give ultimate answers here. I have problems with login and access to the TLG here behind the Great Firewall, so I haven't subscribed, if you were to use the TLG to get the texts related to πανοικεί (and the other words of the same construction) and then even if you were to conclude that it meant "participate in an activity as a group", the question about which activity is being participated in is still open to some degree. The phrase παρέθηκεν τράπεζαν, καὶ ἠγαλλιᾶτο πανοικὶ "Laid a table and celebrated with all his family" is non-contentious, but the question of whether belief together as a group activity or not is possible.

Greek morphology doesn't differentiate between whether an action in the plural is carried out individually or collectively. There are other things that can be said to make the collective nature of an action clear, such as ὁμοθυμαδόν or ἐπὶ τὸ αὐτό, or to make the individual nature of an action clear, such as ἕκαστος αὐτῶν or εἷς ἕκαστος (αὐτῶν). But those references to communal action are expressed using plural verbs.

In the passage you are looking at, the singular subject is carried on in the narrative to these events too. I would approach a TLG seach of πανοικεί and structurally related words with the question whether they were ever used with singular subjects, and under what circumstances. I suspect that they would not normally be used with the singular. My conclusion from that if it were usually used with the plural, but only here or only rarely with the singular would be pragmatics. To keep a single line in the story, and maintain the flow of the narrative, the singular subject is continued. In other words, if we were to dislocate this phrase from the narrative within which it is constructed, it should be quoted in the plural. Ἀναγαγόντες τε αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸν οἶκον αὐτοῦ παρεθήκσαν τράπεζαν , καὶ ἠγαλλίαντο πανοικὶ πεπιστευκότες τῷ θεῷ.*

That is to say that it is the overall story is structured around a indivudual and those around him, that way of telling the story constrains the verbs to being singular. Without that constraint, if were reading about a mob of men for example, the verbs could be their natural plural. Here the story, the story starts with the singular verb in verse 27, with "Ἔξυπνος δὲ γενόμενος ὁ δεσμοφύλαξ,", and then it goes on referring to him in his interactions with the others in the singular after that. I don't think that the other members of his household were marginalised (or got less) in the act of faith or in their enjoyment of the post-baptusm party, simply because of they way the narrative was constructed.

Another way to see the πανοικεί is that is being used as a variant expression with the same meaning as the others before it:
Acts 16:31-34 wrote:Οἱ δὲ εἶπον, Πίστευσον ἐπὶ τὸν κύριον Ἰησοῦν χριστόν, καὶ σωθήσῃ σὺ καὶ ὁ οἶκός σου. 32 Καὶ ἐλάλησαν αὐτῷ τὸν λόγον τοῦ κυρίου, καὶ πᾶσιν τοῖς ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ αὐτοῦ. 33 Καὶ παραλαβὼν αὐτοὺς ἐν ἐκείνῃ τῇ ὥρᾳ τῆς νυκτὸς ἔλουσεν ἀπὸ τῶν πληγῶν, καὶ ἐβαπτίσθη αὐτὸς καὶ οἱ αὐτοῦ πάντες παραχρῆμα. 34 Ἀναγαγών τε αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸν οἶκον αὐτοῦ παρέθηκεν τράπεζαν, καὶ ἠγαλλίατο πανοικὶ πεπιστευκὼς τῷ θεῷ.

That would explain what πανοικεί means in this case, but it still needs an explanation like the one in the foregoing paragraph to explain how it could be used with a singular verb.

Of course that us what I would build if I owned a pack of cards (not that I am ever going to), or that's the way I'd steer the boat if I ever did more that wear the hat and smoke the pipe. :lol:
Peter Streitenberger

Dear Stephen,

I had wished to get such an in-depth answer. As a beginning I've searched the works of Luke for constructions like: Verb + Adverb + Participle and tried to decide on which side the Adverb is connected, I feel that this is not enough to decide this case, but let's look at the passage I've found so far (unfortunately only one was to be found):

Acts 17:13 Ὡς δὲ ἔγνωσαν οἱ ἀπὸ τῆς Θεσσαλονίκης Ἰουδαῖοι ὅτι καὶ ἐν τῇ Βεροίᾳ κατηγγέλη ὑπὸ τοῦ Παύλου ὁ λόγος τοῦ θεοῦ, ἦλθον κἀκεῖ σαλεύοντες τοὺς ὄχλους.
But when the Jews from Thessalonica knew that the word of God was announced in Berea also by Paul, they came there also, stirring up the crowds.

This reference shows that Luke connects the Adverb κἀκεῖ ("there"), because a reference to the following Participle σαλεύοντες ("stiring up") is senseless. That would meet you initial idea that πανοικὶ goes with ἠγαλλίατο.

Then an example from Greek Literature:
τότε τὸν δίκαιον Νῶε πανοικεῖ εἰς παλιγγενεσίαν τοῦ κόσμου ἐκ τοῦ οἰκουμενικοῦ ναυαγίου δι’ ἐλαχίστου ξύλου ἔσωσεν. (ALEXANDER)
A slightly other syntax, but πανοικεῖ goes with the noun Νῶε on the left side: "Noah and his household".

Συλληφθεὶς οὖν πανοικεῖ ὁ ἀνὴρ καὶ πρὸς τὴν Βασιλεύουσαν τῶν πόλεων ἀπαγόμενος εὐθύνας εἰσπραχθησόμενος ἱκεσίαν προσάγουσιν ἡ οἰκεία αὐτοῦ σύζυγος μετὰ τῆς θυγατρὸς τῷ τούτους χειρωσαμένῳ πρὸς τὸν ὅσιον ἀπολυθῆναι Εὐστράτιον καὶ πάλιν ἀνθυποστρέφειν τάχιστα. (Vita Eustratii). "The man assembeled with his houshold....".

καὶ ἀγάπης τῆς φυσικῆς ἐμπλησθείης διηνεκῶς πανοικεῖ. (Athanasius,Ad Andronicum). A further example that πανοικεῖ goes with the text on the left. ("And you may always be filled with the natural love with your household".)

So would you agree that the examples above seem to indicate that in similar constructions the reference of πανοικεῖ goes with the text on the left. I've found no examples where a reference to the right could be seen.

If you could provide a further or concluding comment....
Thanks again...
Yours Peter
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Peter Streitenberger wrote:As a beginning I've searched the works of Luke for constructions like: Verb + Adverb + Participle and tried to decide on which side the Adverb is connected, I feel that this is not enough to decide this case, but let's look at the passage I've found so far (unfortunately only one was to be found):

Acts 17:13 Ὡς δὲ ἔγνωσαν οἱ ἀπὸ τῆς Θεσσαλονίκης Ἰουδαῖοι ὅτι καὶ ἐν τῇ Βεροίᾳ κατηγγέλη ὑπὸ τοῦ Παύλου ὁ λόγος τοῦ θεοῦ, ἦλθον κἀκεῖ σαλεύοντες τοὺς ὄχλους.
But when the Jews from Thessalonica knew that the word of God was announced in Berea also by Paul, they came there also, stirring up the crowds.

This reference shows that Luke connects the Adverb κἀκεῖ ("there"), because a reference to the following Participle σαλεύοντες ("stiring up") is senseless. That would meet you initial idea that πανοικὶ goes with ἠγαλλίατο.
What is your reason for saying that ἐκεῖ doesn't have meaning, if it goes with σαλεύοντες?
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Peter Streitenberger wrote:Then an example from Greek Literature:
τότε τὸν δίκαιον Νῶε πανοικεῖ εἰς παλιγγενεσίαν τοῦ κόσμου ἐκ τοῦ οἰκουμενικοῦ ναυαγίου δι’ ἐλαχίστου ξύλου ἔσωσεν. (ALEXANDER)
A slightly other syntax, but πανοικεῖ goes with the noun Νῶε on the left side: "Noah and his household".

Συλληφθεὶς οὖν πανοικεῖ ὁ ἀνὴρ καὶ πρὸς τὴν Βασιλεύουσαν τῶν πόλεων ἀπαγόμενος εὐθύνας εἰσπραχθησόμενος ἱκεσίαν προσάγουσιν ἡ οἰκεία αὐτοῦ σύζυγος μετὰ τῆς θυγατρὸς τῷ τούτους χειρωσαμένῳ πρὸς τὸν ὅσιον ἀπολυθῆναι Εὐστράτιον καὶ πάλιν ἀνθυποστρέφειν τάχιστα. (Vita Eustratii). "The man assembeled with his houshold....".

καὶ ἀγάπης τῆς φυσικῆς ἐμπλησθείης διηνεκῶς πανοικεῖ. (Athanasius,Ad Andronicum). A further example that πανοικεῖ goes with the text on the left. ("And you may always be filled with the natural love with your household".)

So would you agree that the examples above seem to indicate that in similar constructions the reference of πανοικεῖ goes with the text on the left. I've found no examples where a reference to the right could be seen.
I haven't thought of Greek adverbs in terms of whether they are to the right or left of different elements. Perhaps you coukd share your ideas more fully.

Looking at the sense, rather than the syntax, I think that in the phrase τότε τὸν δίκαιον Νῶε πανοικεῖ εἰς παλιγγενεσίαν τοῦ κόσμου ἐκ τοῦ οἰκουμενικοῦ ναυαγίου δι’ ἐλαχίστου ξύλου ἔσωσεν. (ALEXANDER), the πανοικεῖ is exclusive, with the sense, "and (the rest of) his family (besides him)". In this example the adverb πανοικεῖ is part of the object of a verb, expressing the meaning of an oblique case - Noah and the others are saved by God through baptism with the ark as the cross. In the phrase καὶ ἀγάπης τῆς φυσικῆς ἐμπλησθείης διηνεκῶς πανοικεῖ, the adverb πανοικεῖ also acts as an "object" of ἀγάπη, (if not the object, then) vaguely speaking some oblique relationship at least. In the phrase Συλληφθεὶς οὖν πανοικεῖ ὁ ἀνὴρ the πανοικεῖ is, I think, again either like a dative or an accusative, "he gathered together all the members of his family". The verb ἀπάγω is used of "leading sb.", rather than just "going". The use of that verb also suggests that πανοικεῖ is a word refering to the object of the actions.

Perhaps that is the same as in Acts. If the jailors story in the Acts could be interpreted as using πανοικεῖ as the subject, then I'm not sure if these examples give other examples of that. If what occurs in these examples that you've given, then πανοικεῖ in the Acts should be interpreted more in terms of the meaning of an oblique case.

Are there languages whose typology of referring to people with the subject, but not a plural verb. I'm only aware of the opposite case with something like "mēs ar tētiņu" in Latvian.

I think those are ongoing rather than concluding comments.
Peter Streitenberger

Dear Stephen,

I'd determine the Dative πανοικεῖ as Dative of Association: "with the household".
What is your reason for saying that ἐκεῖ doesn't have meaning, if it goes with σαλεύοντες?
No I was in Error there - could of course be possible. I was blinded by the translation.
The verb ἀπάγω is used of "leading sb.", rather than just "going". The use of that verb also suggests that πανοικεῖ is a word refering to the object of the actions.
To what passage are you referring - or did I overlook the word ἀπάγω somewhere?
In the phrase Συλληφθεὶς οὖν πανοικεῖ ὁ ἀνὴρ the πανοικεῖ is, I think, again either like a dative or an accusative, "he gathered together all the members of his family".
Do you think πανοικεῖ is the direct object of Συλληφθείς? I'd consider ὁ ἀνὴρ as subject and πανοικεῖ as information of who else was gathered together: "When the man was assembled with the household". Right?

All in all I tend to think that πανοικεῖ in Acts goes with the text on the left. But how should one explain his decision convincingly? You brought some good ideas in the discussion. So I'm smarter than bevor :-).
Yours
Peter
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

When you say "on the left", and "on the right", do you mean literally in the text of the Greek, or are you referring metaphorically to the subject and the object in terms of English word order?
Peter Streitenberger wrote:
In the phrase Συλληφθεὶς οὖν πανοικεῖ ὁ ἀνὴρ the πανοικεῖ is, I think, again either like a dative or an accusative, "he gathered together all the members of his family".
Do you think πανοικεῖ is the direct object of Συλληφθείς? I'd consider ὁ ἀνὴρ as subject and πανοικεῖ as information of who else was gathered together: "When the man was assembled with the household". Right?
Not quite. I'm not sure that direct objects exist in Greek without being looked for. That verb is middle-passive too. I think πανοικεῖ might infer that they were all present at the time of the arrest. Is πανοικεῖ part of the pseudo-subject of a passive verb, or does πανοικεῖ go with the sense of the verb when it was active? In other words, I'm wondering if the force of the adverb is changed by the voice of the verb, and I suspect that is not. In short, I don't that πανοικεῖ is actually dative or accusative.
Peter Streitenberger

When you say "on the left", and "on the right", do you mean literally in the text of the Greek, or are you referring metaphorically to the subject and the object in terms of English word order?
With left or right I refer to the position left or right of a given word in the text. We use that e.g. in terms as left dislocation or so.
Thanks for your further comments.....I try to go through all of what was written and the parallel examples - but I think πανοικὶ goes with the text on its left.
Thank you for all your help !
Yours
Peter

Return to “New Testament”