Rev 12:8 the dragon not welcome in Philadelphia

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Stirling Bartholomew

Rev 12:8 the dragon not welcome in Philadelphia

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Here we have a 21st-century electronic textual variant I stumbled across today. (The textual authorities have been notified.)

Rev 12:8
και ουκ ισχυσεν, ουδε τοπος ευρεθη αυτων ετι εν τω φιλαδελφιαν.

Rev 12:8
και ουκ ισχυσαν, ουδε τοπος ευρεθη αυτων ετι εν τω ουρανω.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Rev 12:8 the dragon not welcome in Philadelphia

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

However, as one living near (and for a long time before in) the great city of brotherly love, I can tell you the dragon is not welcome here (except during Chinese New Year -- we like that dragon).

Fun fact: the motto of Philadelphia is "Philadelphia Maneto" (I first noticed it when I was taking the orange line subway downtown, it's printed right on the doors of the subway cars), of course φιλαδελφία μενέτω, from Heb. 13:1, "Let brotherly love endure," but obviously intended of the city name for the motto. However, I wonder if someone all too clever didn't put a Greek ending on a Latin verb (maneo)! However, there is also a rare future imperative form in Latin which would be maneto, and I hope that's what was intended.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Rev 12:8 the dragon not welcome in Philadelphia

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Barry,

I don't have a clue how long this error has been there in the SBLGNT at STEP bible site. I edited meanings and manuscripts for the Apocalypse of John several years back and didn't notice it. You would think anyone that read it would report it. Apparently not.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “New Testament”