The meaning of εἰς in James 1:19

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
VTsialas

The meaning of εἰς in James 1:19

Post by VTsialas »

ταχὺς εἰς τὸ ἀκοῦσαι, βραδὺς εἰς τὸ λαλῆσαι, βραδὺς εἰς ὀργήν

I would like to ask whether the meaning of εἰς in the above, well-known verse had to do with 1) relation or with 2) purpose. The second thing I would like to ask is if the use of εἰς here is typical for such phrases or if it is a Hebraism.
Jonathan Robie

Re: The meaning of εἰς in James 1:19

Post by Jonathan Robie »

VTsialas wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 12:39 pm ταχὺς εἰς τὸ ἀκοῦσαι, βραδὺς εἰς τὸ λαλῆσαι, βραδὺς εἰς ὀργήν

I would like to ask whether the meaning of εἰς in the above, well-known verse had to do with 1) relation or with 2) purpose. The second thing I would like to ask is if the use of εἰς here is typical for such phrases or if it is a Hebraism.
I think it's relation - as indicated below:
SIL Exegetical Summaries wrote:QUESTION—What relationship is indicated by the three prepositional phrases introduced by εἰς ‘to’?

They define the areas in which they are to be quick and slow [ICC]: be quick with reference to hearing; be slow with reference to speaking and to becoming angry. The use of εἰς with the articular infinitive is stronger than the simple infinitive [Lns].
Then again, I think this is one of those things where the meaning is perfectly clear until you try to decide how to classify it. The abstraction can get in the way of the plain meaning.

I think this is just an example of the articular infinitive as the object of a preposition.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

Jonathan Robie wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 6:44 pm Then again, I think this is one of those things where the meaning is perfectly clear until you try to decide how to classify it.
Well stated!
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Additionally, I would say that εἰς here does not signify purpose, listening and speaking are not the purpose of "quick" and "slow" but used simply here as adverbials of respect or specification, "slow to listen," with regard to listening...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “New Testament”