The Words Συντελεία and Τέλος in Mt 24

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Bill Ross

Re: The Words Συντελεία and Τέλος in Mt 24

Post by Bill Ross »

The Feast of Tabernacles relates to a harvest. IE: suntelia seems to be the word one uses to speak of a harvest.
What I lack in youth I make up for in immaturity.
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Bill Ross wrote: April 17th, 2019, 1:15 pm The Feast of Tabernacles relates to a harvest. IE: suntelia seems to be a harvest.
How do you understand the sunteleia at Mt 24:3 and Mt 13:40, as a period of time or as an end (a point in time)?
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

As to Matthew 24:3 I just checked NASB and they have "end" but they have footnote of "Or, consummation". So they seem to leave either reading as a possibility in terms of the semantic domain and syntax. So 24:3 seems un-compelling either way. But since Matthew 13:40 seems to be an open and shut case of referring to the consummation (the denouement), I think and refers there to the consummation/denouement (IE: the "period of the end" or "finale").

Note: Not of the "end of the world (planet)" but rather "the end of the age [of earthly Jerusalem, the temple and the old covenant]".
What I lack in youth I make up for in immaturity.

Return to “New Testament”