“Pleophorical” Hendiadys

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Bernd Strauss

“Pleophorical” Hendiadys

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament, edited by Horst Balz and Gerhard Schneider, says in the entry ἐπιφάνεια: “2 Thess 2:8: The Lord will "destroy the antichrist at the appearing of his coming" (ἐπιφάνειᾳ τῆς παρουσίας αὐτοῦ is to be understood pleophorically as a hendiadys).”

What does the lexicon mean what it states that the phrase ἐπιφάνειᾳ τῆς παρουσίας αὐτοῦ is to be understood as a hendiadys pleophorically?
Daniel Semler

Re: “Pleophorical” Hendiadys

Post by Daniel Semler »

Cute word. I couldn't find it in my OED, Webster's Third or Macquarie !

I wonder if it's a typo (alt spelling) of :
Webster's online https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plerophory says "complete assurance", saying also that it is archaic.

Alternatively there is pleochroic meaning showing different colors in different directions. In which case one might say here "in all ways".

Trying to adapt these to the context you have here from the very small snippet I would say something like "in every way", "completely" or perhaps more simply, "absolutely".

Given the paucity of examples I am not even sure the word is being correctly used here (the classic problem of a hapax.), and in any case, it seems redundant. One could simply say it's a hendiadys and be done with it.

Does that fit the sense adequately ?

Thx
D
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

If the word is used with the meaning "absolutely; definitely," as you suggest, this seems to fit the sense of the statement in the lexicon. The lexicon would thus be saying that the phrase ἐπιφάνειᾳ τῆς παρουσίας is to be definitely understood as a hendiadys.
There are three occurrences of the word "pleophoric" in Google Books, one of which is from the Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament, although it is not clear what the word exactly means in these instances:
https://www.google.com/search?q="pleoph ... 24&bih=731
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

"Emeralds are pleophoric, meaning they display different colours in different directions." (http://www.gemcash.ca/emerald_gem_cash.html)

Maybe "multicolored"?

EDIT: or "being able to carry several shades"
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Hey, knowing a bit of Greek and paying attention to the context helps with this one. πλείων and φέρω. But in my opinion writers who show off using extremely rare vocabulary should be shot, drawn and quartered and boiled in baby oil (not necessarily in that order), metaphorically speaking. Avoid verbose sesquipedalian excrescence.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: April 8th, 2020, 11:38 am But in my opinion writers who show off using extremely rare vocabulary should be shot, drawn and quartered and boiled in baby oil (not necessarily in that order), metaphorically speaking.
Can we please add publishers / authors who use end notes rather than footnotes? I gave up on one book The (im)politeness of Jesus due to that annoyance.
timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Avoid verbose sesquipedalian excrescence.
And eschew obfuscation.
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: April 8th, 2020, 11:38 am πλείων and φέρω
Since the main definitions of the two Greek words are “more” and “bring; carry,” how would you suggest to understand the English word “pleophoric” used in the following contexts?

Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament, Volume 14, pages 50-51: “sws/sys ... 1. The Verb. The 27 occurrences of the verb are distributed as follows: 9 in Isaiah” (cj. in Isa. 42:11 and 64:4(5]), 7 in the Psalms, 4 in Deuteronomy, 2 each in Job and Lamentations, l each in Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Zephaniah; all passages date to the postexilic period and thus allow the classification of this lexeme as one of the late idioms of the Hebrew language. The word field surrounding the notion of joy and jubilation (which Ihromi has assembled for Zepb. 3:14-15) has been gathered from the context of many passages and is frequently characterized by the pleophoric tenor attaching to the parenetic pieces found in the prophetic books and Psalms. Significant terminological shifts can be discerned only through a laborious analysis of details and even then remain semantically unsatisfying with regard to the late OT contexts consistently characterizing the passages using sws/sys, since one can also observe during this period a significant confluence of the semantic content of many lexemes such as gil, hll, yada, ranan, and samah.”

Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament, the entry epiphaneia: “The Lord will "destroy the antichrist at the appearing of his coming" (ἐπιφάνειᾳ τῆς παρουσίας αὐτοῦ is to be understood pleophorically as a hendiadys).”
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Carrying more than one meaning?
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote: April 9th, 2020, 5:43 am Carrying more than one meaning?
Thank you. This may be the meaning of the word.

Return to “New Testament”