a byzantine hymn

Other Greek writings of the New Testament era, including papyri and inscriptions
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Sophronios Budiman

a byzantine hymn

Post by Sophronios Budiman »

hope I post it in the right place

just found a Greek hymn, and try to translate it
This If I am not mistaken, from the period of the eastern-roman empire, that is called byzantine by The people of the West
I always wonder how my just basic Biblical Greek ability could help one understand the so-called byzantine-greek
could anyone help to point out whether I have any error?

here is the full text
ὁ ἀγγελος εβόα τῃ κεχαριτωμένῃ
Αγνή Παρθήνε χαίρε, και πάλιν ερώ, χαίρε
ὁ σος Υιός ανέστη τριήμερος εκ τάφου
φωτίζου, φωτίζου, ἡ νέα Ιερουσαλήμ
ἡ γαρ δόχα κυρίου επί σε ανέτειλε
Χόρευε νυν και αγάλλου
Σιών, συ δε αγνή, τέρπου, Θεοτόκε,
εν τῃ εγέρσει του τόκου σου

and my afford of translation is
ὁ ἀγγελος εβόα τῃ κεχαριτωμένῃ
The angel were shouting aloud to The Favored One,
(I take τῃ κεχαριτωμένῃ as perfect passive participle and the definition straight from Danker CL)

Αγνή Παρθήνε χαίρε, και πάλιν ερώ, χαίρε
Pure Virgin, rejoice again I will say, rejoice. (seems normal and straight forward for me)

ὁ σος Υιός ανέστη τριήμερος εκ τάφου
Your Son raised on the third day from the tomb.
(ανεστη as imperfect ind of ανιστημι, and can only guess about τριημερα because neither CL nor middle LSJ contain the entry)

φωτίζου, φωτίζου, ἡ νέα Ιερουσαλήμ
Be enlightened!, be enlightened! The New Jerusalem,
(φωτιζου as 2nd person present imperative passive of φωτιζω)

ἡ γαρ δόχα κυρίου επί σε ανέτειλε
for the glory of the Lord rised upon you.
(ανετειλε the 3rd person sg liquid aorist indicative active ανατελλω)

Χόρευε νυν και αγάλλου
Dance now and glorify,
(these two absent in NT so I look from middle LSJ, I take χορευε as second person imperative active of χορευε, αγαλλου the second person imperative middle active of αγαλλω)

Σιών, συ δε αγνή, τέρπου, Θεοτόκε
and you Sion, be delighted, God-bearer, (τερπου second person imperative middle active of τερπω. and θεοτοκος from my personal knowledge)

εν τῃ εγέρσει του τόκου σου
in the resurrection of your Offspring
(straight forward in my mind)

Thx before
Roni
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: a byzantine hymn

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

translated and chanted here:

http://www.ipernity.com/blog/evangrek63/242288
The Angel cried unto her that is full of grace, O pure Virgin rejoice and again I say , rejoice; for thy Son hath arisen from the grave on the third day. Shine, Shine O new Jerusalem, for the glory of the Lord hath arisen upon thee; dance now and be glad, O Sion,, and do Thou exalt O pure Theotokos in the arising of Him Whom thou didst bear.
I had some trouble making out the first line or so in the chant, but here it is chanted very slowly makes it easy to follow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrAo4nI03Po
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Sophronios Budiman

Re: a byzantine hymn

Post by Sophronios Budiman »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:translated and chanted here:

http://www.ipernity.com/blog/evangrek63/242288
The Angel cried unto her that is full of grace, O pure Virgin rejoice and again I say , rejoice; for thy Son hath arisen from the grave on the third day. Shine, Shine O new Jerusalem, for the glory of the Lord hath arisen upon thee; dance now and be glad, O Sion,, and do Thou exalt O pure Theotokos in the arising of Him Whom thou didst bear.
I had some trouble making out the first line or so in the chant, but here it is chanted very slowly makes it easy to follow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrAo4nI03Po
ah its been a while..
thx you for the link and the translations..
I think I need much to learn

thx

Return to “Koine Greek Texts”