Vocabulary / Week

TimNelson

Re: Vocabulary / Week

Post by TimNelson »

Answering the original asker:

Wenham had over 560, and our group seemed to remember a lot of the stuff. Note that 462 is enough to take you to all words occurring 30x or more, which is where the Reader's Bibles and Reader's Lexica seem to draw the line.

The thing that killed me the first time going through was that, when we came to the Aorist, there were suddenly a bucketload of Aorist forms to learn. Were I teaching, I'd make sure the overview lesson on verbs included the 6 principal parts (just the 1st person singular), with an overview of how λύω worked in that regard, so that as students memorised the verbs, they could get all 6 principal parts down.

Probably too late to be useful to the original asker, but may help someone.
--
Tim Nelson
B. Sc. (Computer Science), M. Div. Looking for work (in computing or language-related jobs).
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Myself, I would start with the verbs that a student really needs to have INSIDE them,

like ἔδωκα ἔδωκεν ~ δίδωσιν
and ἔθηκα ἔθηκεν ~ τίθησιν
plus ῆλθον ῆλθεν ~ ἔρχεται
and εῑπον/εῑπα εῖπεν ~ λέγει

and don't forget ἔστηκα ἔστηκεν "(I am) standing"
κεῖμαι κεῖται
κάθημαι κάθηται

That's what little kids internalized as their core experience, along with lots of forms like δός, θές, ἐλθέ, στῆθι/ἀνάστηθι, κεῖσο, κάθισον, and probably especially . . . παῦσαι ποιῶν αὐτό ! :x ! ! :D .
In other words hit 70 FUNKY verbs really hard all the time, from the beginning.
They are more important than λῦσαι λύειν. Having the funky verbs inside provides a core that can build to fluency better than rules about λῦσαι λύειν. (yes, they get to have 's' aorist, 'k' perfect, and 's' future, too, almost as 'gimme's.)

Yeah, it's a different philosophy of language learning, but ἀπὸ τῶν καρπῶν αὐτῶν ἐπιγνώσεσθε αὐτούς.
And when they get really κεκμηκότες rules won't help as much as a gloss.
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

RandallButh wrote:and don't forget ἔστηκα ἔστηκεν "(I am) standing"
κεῖμαι κεῖται
κάθημαι κάθηται
For anyone studying at home on the sofa, ἀνάκειμαι ἀνάκειται might be useful too.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I'm a strong advocate of learning as much verb as possible as soon as possible. Yes, all 6 principal parts, and learn what they mean as the student progresses.

BTW, this is important: the principal parts of ἄγω can be sung to the tune of "Good King Wenceslas." Try it, you'll see...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Here is a scenario for remembering a principle part:

Are you having a party?

οἶνον οἴσω

That will allow a student to get the future of that form. I wouldn't want to trust rote memory of principle parts for a classroom of students and expect them to remember or understand the verb later.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

RandallButh wrote:Are you having a party?

οἶνον οἴσω
Please do!
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Teaching Methods”