Checking answers in Duff's "The Elements of New Testament.."

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Jacob Rhoden

Checking answers in Duff's "The Elements of New Testament.."

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Im excited to renew/restart my effort in 2015 to learn koine/ancient greek, I've started going through this book.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a place that contains answers to the exercises. The back has answers for some exercises, but not all. For example, I just wrote out the answers for the practice in 2.1.2, found that the answers are not in the back of the book. It almost feels like, whats the point of doing the practices if I don't know if I am practicing the wrong thing anyway.
Stephen Hughes

Re: Checking answers in Duff's "The Elements of New Testamen

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Try the student exercises and the material for teachers on the website that accompanies the book.

http://www.nt-greek.net/

There seem to be no major errors mentioned in the Errata section, but penciling them in in your copy would also help you know that you are not practicing something wrong.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Sadly the links to the exercises on that page are all broken. Thanks for the pointer though. Ultimately I was hoping to be able to work through the book and check my answers; otherwise what is the point of the book?
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jacob Rhoden wrote:Sadly the links to the exercises on that page are all broken. Thanks for the pointer though. Ultimately I was hoping to be able to work through the book and check my answers; otherwise what is the point of the book?
The rationale for not putting all the answers into the book is explained in the FAQs section.
Where are the answers? wrote:Answers to all of the practice questions and Section A exercises are on pages 275-301. Being able to check answers is a great help when you are working on your own. There are no answers to section B exercises, so that teachers are able to set work for their students to complete unaided.
I'm not sure how different Duff's work is different from the previous editions by Nunn and , but you could try these at least.

The 1915 key to Nunn is available for download at This location
The 1965 key to Wenham is (seemingly currently) available for sale second hand

If you feel that you have not gotten enough from the work after you finish it, there is a comparison of other works on Porternet. But before you go there, let's discuss for a moment the role of a textbook in the process of getting a student reading.

The stated aims of your textbook are that a student will learn enough Greek to be able to read the New Testament. Duff having said that, then lists on the book's website other books that many other people besides would recommend to be used together with a textbook to get you into the actual reading. It seems then that in saying "learn enough Greek", it may be that Duff means let you master accidence - the forms of the language. As suggested, the process itself of reading is going to likely need you to use a copy of the New Testament, a dictionary, a textual commentary, and your learning of grammar from the textbook will need to be accompanied by a conscientious effort to master at least the words occurring 10 (or 20) times or more from a vocabulary list.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

I hadn't noticed that statement of rationale, but it does basically mean that this book does not cater for people who want to self study. Its disappointing because I purchased the book with the expectation that I would be able to learn greek, I am uncomfortable with the idea that I have to do exercises that I won't know if I have completed correctly :(

So I guess I need to either pay a tutor to check my answers, or find another book? I do really like this book apart from this issue.
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

It is frustrating to start out, and then hit a snag like that just as you are gaining some momentum! You will likely find, though, that you will collect more than one grammar book as you proceed on your own, especially since you will not have the direction and enrichment you would get from an instructor. Most of us end up with a bit of a collection of grammar books.

If you do end up looking for another grammar book, I would suggest taking a close look at "A Primer of Biblical Greek" by N. CLAYTON CROY. Croy provides extensive exercises at the end of each chapter from the NT and LXX, along with those he himself (I presume) creates. There is an answer key available here:http://www.eerdmans.com/Common/BIBLICAL ... S_Croy.pdf. One of the very helpful things about these exercises is that many are not from the predicable New Testament texts, and so you cannot just fill in the English after translating a few words. You actually have to translate them.

I'm using Mounce for first year, but I find that Croy's exercises provide a very helpful adjunct for practice. It is also a solid first year grammar book in my estimation. I'm also quite impressed with my initial reading of Funk's grammar, which you can access free here:http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/project/f ... pre-alpha/. No matter which book you use as a base, I would recommend reading Funk along the way. His approach will go a long way towards giving you a solid foundation to move past the basics, and to engage the language itself.
γράφω μαθεῖν
John Kendall

Post by John Kendall »

Jacob,

In my copy of Duff, the answers for the practice exercise that you mention (actually labelled Practice 2.1) are found on page 277.

John
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Jacob Rhoden wrote:I hadn't noticed that statement of rationale, but it does basically mean that this book does not cater for people who want to self study. Its disappointing because I purchased the book with the expectation that I would be able to learn greek, I am uncomfortable with the idea that I have to do exercises that I won't know if I have completed correctly :(

So I guess I need to either pay a tutor to check my answers, or find another book? I do really like this book apart from this issue.
As a teacher, I used Croy, Mounce, and Duff (and others) over several years, and finally came to write the Online Textbook, mainly because I wanted my students to read, read, read, and gain comprehension and self-confidence. You're welcome to try it. Most of the Greek sentences have an English translation next to them, but each chapter also has some sentences for translation without an answer key. I can supply the answers to bona fide self-studiers if they contact me.
http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html
Shirley Rollinson
Jeremy.Duff

Post by Jeremy.Duff »

Hi Jacob,

I am sorry that one aspect of The Elements of New Testament Greek hasn't worked out for you as you had hoped.

Yes the question about answers to the exercises is a tough one.

Basically there are two main sets of users. Those who are using the book in a classroom setting, and those who are using it purely on their own. In the first case it is really helpful for teachers that they can set exercises for students to do, which there isn't an immediately available answer book for. A common criticism of the previous incarnation of this book by Wenham was that if teachers set students 'homework' many students couldn't resist the temptation to simply crib the answers from the answer key. On the other hand, for those learning by themselves, or revising class work etc., it is really helpful to be able to try out exercises and then see the answers.

How to balance the two needs?

The answer taken in this book was to have lots and lots of exercises (the 'practice questions', half way practice and the sentences), more I think that any comparative book. And to give the answers in the back for the majority of these. However, to also include in the 'section B' sentences some work which answers were not provided for, so teachers could if they wished set these for students.

I hope that this works for you. There are still an awful lot of practice exercises for you in the book, which answers are supplied for, even if not the 'section B sentences'.

Good luck with the Greek.

Jeremy Duff
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Jeremy.Duff wrote:Hi Jacob,

I am sorry that one aspect of The Elements of New Testament Greek hasn't worked out for you as you had hoped.
I hope that this works for you. There are still an awful lot of practice exercises for you in the book, which answers are supplied for, even if not the 'section B sentences'.

Good luck with the Greek.

Jeremy Duff
Thanks Jeremy, I had missed the paragraph in the book that included the explanation on why some answers are missing from the book. Are you the actual author of the book?

On reflection of the above post, I guess my main frustration is that it feels like there are not enough exercises for self learning, so all of the practice sections feel like opportunities to learn, so when some have missing answers its disappointing. Im only a beginner, but what it feels to me right now, is that I need to find _more_ sources of practice exercises to practice and confirm my understanding. For example:

1. After completing Chapter 3, section B and I found myself thinking, "Did I get any of those right, I have no idea? Why did I just do them?"

2. I just did practice section 4.1, I got a bunch of them wrong, and now I am like, how do I practice this again knowing what I misunderstood the first time?

Anyway, thanks! Im hoping to get accepted to a class to study greek more formally, but for now I am just pressing on :)

(And on a side note completely to the above, so far all the sections have been quite clear except the section "3.4 The Vocative". I get the gist of it, but not enough to understand how to do the excercise. Im guessing I'll need to find another book on vocatives.)

Return to “Beginners Forum”