gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: List of Articular Infinitives

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

cwconrad wrote: Yes, but do they speak the same language?
Some linguists speak a language know to only a few people. Kind of like the private identical twins.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:One could also do it the old-fashioned way – – by reading through the Greek New Testament, and noting every instance of the articular infinitive. I admit it might take a little longer, but think of the benefits resulting...
Well, if I want to spend a lot of time to make a lot of mistakes, this would be a great way to do it.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Stephen Carlson wrote:I need a list of articular infinitives in a corpus that includes at the least the NT. Has such a list been published or can it be easily queried (and posted here), as with Jonathan and Micheal's syntax trees?

Thanks!

(I have a demo copy of Bibleworks 9 but I don't really use it.)
You might try using La Parola
http://www.laparola.net/greco/index.php
and use the "Find Words" option, to do a search for "verb" - "infinitive" (being sure to specify "words appearing at least once"). Clicking on "find words" gives a list of (hopefully) all the infintives in the GNT - 2,285 of them. Then you can take your time and follow the link for each infinitive, and see the verses in which it appears - that way you can sort out the articular infintives from the others, and also have them in context.
Shirley Rollinson
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Stephen Carlson wrote: Well, if I want to spend a lot of time to make a lot of mistakes, this would be a great way to do it.
The fact that someone at your level of competence trusts technology more than his own eyes and brain says something about our culture (and perhaps your age). Of course, hypocritically, I would want to use the technology, but that says something about my essentially lazy nature! :shock:
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Stephen Carlson wrote: Well, if I want to spend a lot of time to make a lot of mistakes, this would be a great way to do it.
The fact that someone at your level of competence trusts technology more than his own eyes and brain says something about our culture (and perhaps your age). Of course, hypocritically, I would want to use the technology, but that says something about my essentially lazy nature! :shock:
What this discussion brought home to me was that my own doctoral research into Greek poetic word-order patterns in the late 1950's was in another era altogether: reading through oodles of Greek hexameter verse and laboriously copying data onto index cards to stack in little piles by category and count them. It was laborious, but as someone advised me then, "You'll be wending your way through a lot of good stuff."
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Carlson

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Actually, it says a lot more about how tactful I was trying to be in the face of your ridiculous suggestion. Already in this thread there were two dissertations on point cited for the original inquiry. Reading what our predecessors produced is not even high-tech. That's old school.
Melbourne, Australia
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

This is what I have from Cascadia so far. I'm sure there are more. These are all the articular infinitives listed as NP's with a determiner that's a sister of a clause whose head is an infinitive verb. I'm sure there's another syntactic pattern Cascadia uses, but I haven't found it yet.

http://1drv.ms/1Ht5Nml

It's an xml spreadsheet, you should be able to open it in any spreadsheet viewer (excel, open office, etc.)
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Carlson

Thanks for that Mike. This one nets 283 of them.

I hoping that either Jonathan or Micheal would jump in, since the question seems to fit their project to query syntax trees. I'm actually a little surprised not to hear from them, but people get busier over the holidays I suppose.

I'm not that familiar with Cascadia. Is it similar to what they are doing or something else entirely?
Melbourne, Australia
George F Somsel

Post by George F Somsel »

Stephen C Carlson wrote:
I'm not that familiar with Cascadia. Is it similar to what their are doing or something else entirely?
https://www.logos.com/product/27284/cas ... bl-edition
george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”