Where to make comments on verses?

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Louis L Sorenson

Where to make comments on verses?

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I'm wondering about the structure of this forum. I'm posting this question in this forum because the users in this forum are not all moderators, and cannot see the discussion if it were in the administration forum. I think this reading group is a different breed of sorts than the other forums on B-Greek. It is kind of a learning curve for all of us. Ken M. Penner has been kind enough to share his notes with us, and I'm concerned in the early stages to maximize the forum's usefulness as far as organization and give the best experience to participating users in regards to where to make posts, receiving notification of answers on their questions, etc.

Ken is making notes for each of the chapters, so there will be 66 topic threads of his notes. It makes sense for him to make all his posts for the chapter under each chapter post. But the phpBB software does not let the poster respond to a specific post in a thread, but places every new post at the end of all the posts for that topic "e.g. Notes on Chapter 1"

The problem is this. If someone asks the question, there may be intervening posts between the question and the answer, in some cases, there may be many intervening posts. Also, that post (question, answer, or note) is not under the verse subsection but most likely at the end of the entire note section. He/she will also most likely not know his/her question was answered.

So my question is, should people make separate posts for a question on a specific text, or put that post under the chapter notes?
Jason Hare

Re: Where to make comments on verses?

Post by Jason Hare »

That would seem the most reasonable option.

Posts that are made in the notes thread would likely be overlooked or divided up by further notes, etc. Additionally, creating more threads in the subforum would serve to populate it so that it doesn't remain with only about 66 superstuffed threads. This would also keep the original threads from being distracted from their purpose – to provide the Greek text of the work and discuss variations and oddities.

If the purpose is that the text be presented in a readable manner, it would make sense to keep side issues off of the main threads and as part of their own threads. I agree with your suggestion.

Regards,
Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Series on Isaiah”