First 1000 Words in Koine Greek

Louis L Sorenson

Re: First 1000 Words in Koine Greek

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Paul Nitz has the strong belief that cartoons/outlined images (vector art) are much better that photographs. The reason is that photographs include extra information such as color, extra objects detract the learner by adding extra information which they do not need. The image of a woman pointing at her nose, I took as "this is my nose." not as "this is I" = ἐγώ. So perception is the essential element. Context creates/demands any given interpretation of any given image. Context could be shown by not showing a single picture, but by showing a series of 5-10 pictures.
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:Paul Nitz has the strong belief that cartoons/outlined images (vector art) are much better that photographs. The reason is that photographs include extra information such as color, extra objects detract the learner by adding extra information which they do not need. The image of a woman pointing at her nose, I took as "this is my nose." not as "this is I" = ἐγώ. So perception is the essential element. Context creates/demands any given interpretation of any given image. Context could be shown by not showing a single picture, but by showing a series of 5-10 pictures.
The best I've seen are photos where if you hover over an element, the element displays its name or it gets an overlay of an outline. Are they a special type of picture or are they a webpage?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:Paul Nitz has the strong belief that cartoons/outlined images (vector art) are much better that photographs. The reason is that photographs include extra information such as color, extra objects detract the learner by adding extra information which they do not need. The image of a woman pointing at her nose, I took as "this is my nose." not as "this is I" = ἐγώ. So perception is the essential element. Context creates/demands any given interpretation of any given image. Context could be shown by not showing a single picture, but by showing a series of 5-10 pictures.
Cartoons are great - but it's harder to find appropriate ones without writing them yourself. Image search is relatively quick. Could we find the cartoonists we need to do this kind of thing? If someone knows where to find volunteers ...

When this thread was first proposed, it didn't take off. Is there a variation on this idea that we could get people to sign up for and do the work, if I found a way for people to save images and store them in an organized way?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

I'm willing to try a few "quick and sloppy" black/white sketches of the sort I did for Susan Jeffers' "brother and sister" reader, if that would be any help.
Shirley Rollinson
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

That would be very helpful, Shirley. Could they be released under a Creative Commons license so everyone can use them?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Certainly

Return to “Teaching Methods”