Advanced(?) Greek

Textbooks, Graded Readers, Beginner Resources and links, Teaching aids, etc.
Jake Horner

Advanced(?) Greek

Post by Jake Horner »

I'm wondering what my next step ought to be.

1) My Intro was taught using S. M. Baugh's workbook.
2) Intermediate used Wallace
3) I have copies of Robertson, BDF, Moulton that I use for reference
4) I have made a first pass through Phil, Gal, 1 Cor, and Eph.
5) I have instituted a daily discipline of translating a minimum of 2 verses using Bibleworks -- I parse everything, add detail to case and verb usage when there is something interesting going on, and am starting to wrestle with aspect/Aktionsart.

I am contemplating a PhD in NT.

TIA,

Jake
Stephen Carlson

Re: Advanced(?) Greek

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Start reading outside the New Testament. LXX, Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, anything.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Randall Tan

Post by Randall Tan »

From what I have seen, there are many Greek students who are able to parse & interpret/translate small chunks of texts (several verses at a time) competently. However, few are able to sight-read the GNT fluently (as quickly or almost as quickly as if reading in their native language).

From my personal experience, there is no substitute for wide & extensive reading. So, besides reading outside the NT, as Stephen suggested, I would also suggest gradually increasing your daily reading of the GNT to at least a chapter a day (a minimum of 2 verses a day is a decent start, but it is nowhere near enough). During the first few passes over the GNT, you may need to use computer software or a reader's lexicon to help you with unfamiliar words &/or difficulties encountered so as not to get bogged down. Once you have read through the GNT several times, you will have acquired first-hand knowledge that is unattainable from simply studying secondary resources (though those resources are helpful as instructors in the beginning & as dialogue partners once you gain enough expertise to join the conversation).

What I suggest above is just my opinion of what would be most helpful. Others have given helpful advice in other posts elsewhere on this forum previously & so I leave it to you to look up their suggestions for additional input.
Randall Tan
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I agree that two verses a day and parsing everything in sight is an excellent start. Randall has given good advice – you don't want to stay there, but to wean yourself from parsing and and increase your reading as much as possible. Parsing is always a means to the end, and it's like the alphabet – we don't expect a 5th grader to recite the alphabet everyday, we expect her to use it in reading without a second thought about it. That's how automatic your parsing should come – see the word, know the word. This just takes lots of reading and practice. The secret formula for success in learning Greek or any ancient language: perseverance and diligence!

I have been reading through the GNT a chapter+ a day since 1979. It has helped. A lot.

Let me also chorus reading as much extra-biblical Greek as your schedule allows. Seeing old friends (vocabulary) in new and exciting contexts, more practice with your grammar and syntax (tools that should also become automatic over time) greatly enhances your ability with GNT. Stephen mentioned LXX, AF, and Josephus. I would Epictetus, and for fun factors Lucian's True Histories and Aesop's Fabulae. That's just to start – ancient Greek from any period will help.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Nikolaos Adamou

Re: Advanced(?) Greek with some resources

Post by Nikolaos Adamou »

A syntax of Greek in Greek with examples from the Biblical and Ecclesiastical books is available in the web at:

http://diakonosg.wordpress.com/

Also the site

http://www.ellopos.net/

contains a lot of information, including New & Old Testament, Greek Patrology and other.

It is one way that all of those who are not in contact with the Greeks can see how some of them approach the same matters.

Χριστὸς Ἀνέστη

Return to “Resources”