1 Peter 1:17 κρινοντα κατα το εκαστου εργον

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
statistuta

1 Peter 1:17 κρινοντα κατα το εκαστου εργον

Post by statistuta »

What we should know about God who is κρινοντα ? Possibilities:
1. God is judging according to our works (now, during our lives), or
2. God will be judging (ex.: in the last day - like John 12:48), or
3. something else?
Jonathan Robie

Re: 1 Peter 1:17 κρινοντα κατα το εκαστου εργον

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome to B-Greek!

One policy you should be aware of: you need to change your user name to be able to post here. Follow the instructions here:

Policy: User Names and Profiles

At first blush, I would say nothing in the phrase "κρινοντα κατα το εκαστου εργον" answers your question. It tells us that God is the one who judges - τὸν κρίνοντα (present active participle), and it tells us the way that he will judge ("ἀπροσωπολήμπτως", "κατα το εκαστου εργον"), but it does not really tell us when this judging will happen. And I don't think that's the point here, he is telling us that God is the Father who judges impartially according to each one’s work, and if we appeal to God as our Father, we are to conduct yourselves in reverence during our time living as strangers.

Here's the entire protasis:

εἰ Πατέρα ἐπικαλεῖσθε τὸν ἀπροσωπολήμπτως κρίνοντα κατὰ τὸ ἑκάστου ἔργον

I did a Treedown of this chapter about a month ago, here is my analysis of this verse:

Code: Select all

+ εἰ
        o2 Πατέρα
        v ἐπικαλεῖσθε
        od τὸν
            + ἀπροσωπολήμπτως
            v.part κρίνοντα
            + κατὰ τὸ ἑκάστου ἔργον
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “What does this text mean?”