John 1:18 μονογενὴς

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: John 1:18 μονογενὴς

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Seumas Macdonald wrote: November 29th, 2018, 5:27 am As for Charles Lee Irons, I think his argument is basically along good lines, except that he insists on using the term "only-begotten", which with Mike I consider to be meaningless in contemporary English apart from theological jargon. The closest English collocation for μονογενής is "only child", but since we do not use "only child" as an adjective to another substantive, it's utility for translation is minimal. I can't see "siblingless" catching on anytime soon.
I like it. Let's start a petition or something and get it accepted... :D

Thanks for the fairly detailed response and explanation. Some of us (including myself) sometimes get along simply with assertions, and it's good to have some real discussion with reasonable arguments presented. Look forward to reading your work!
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Sean Kasabuske

Post by Sean Kasabuske »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: November 28th, 2018, 8:52 am
Sean Kasabuske wrote: November 28th, 2018, 7:45 am
Barry Hofstetter wrote: November 27th, 2018, 11:32 pm If you search the B-Greek archives, you'll find that this has been discussed a number of times, such as:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/vie ... tten#p6141

In the meantime, the answer is "unique, one of a kind."
I wonder why no translator (I'm aware of) renders the verse that way? Some have "only", but that isn't exactly the same as "unique" or "one of a kind".
NIV renders "one and only."
Right, that's what I mean: Even translators who accept "unique, one of a kind" don't use those words in their translations. I find that rather curious.

When one considers the excellent work that folks like Mike Heiser have done in helping folks see what early monotheism looked (e.g. in light of the Divine Counsel), to say that the Son was the "only God" doesn't seem to accurately reflect that worldview.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Hebrew H3205 יָלַד translates to "to bear, bring forth, beget"

μονογενής translates to יחיד (H3173. yachid).

But

Greek words (G1080. gennaó) γεννάω and (G1084. gennétos) γεννητός translates Hebrew H3205 יָלַד.

How is γεννάω (1080. gennaó) links with γένος (1085. genos)? or they are different words?
Robin

Post by Robin »

ὁμογενής translates to "Same Kind".

Return to “Beginners Forum”