Finding a List of Modern Greek Bible Versions

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Bernd Strauss

Finding a List of Modern Greek Bible Versions

Post by Bernd Strauss »

I need to find a list of all modern Greek translations of the Bible (translated from the original Koine Greek language into the modern Greek language). I want to see whether certain words which were used in the original copies of the Christian Greek Scriptures are still used in modern Greek Bible versions with the same meanings.
Philip Arend

Re: Finding a List of Modern Greek Bible Versions

Post by Philip Arend »

The YouVersion website has a number of Modern Greek bibles easily searchable
Benjamin Kantor

Post by Benjamin Kantor »

That sounds like a very interesting project. Here are some of the most recent ones:

1901 - Alexandros Pallis / Αλέξανδρος Πάλλης (in Modern Greek)
1904 - Neofytos Vamvas / Νεόφυτος Βάμβας (in Katharevousa)
1967 - Vasilios Vellas / Βασίλειος Βέλλας (in Modern Greek) - this is with the Hellenic Bible Society
1994 - Spyros Filos / Σπύρος Φίλος (Modern Greek) - this is a revision of the Vamvas translation
1985/1997 - Today's Greek Version (Modern Greek) - this is with the Hellenic Bible Society

From what I understand, while many modern Greeks prefer to continue to read the New Testament in the original Koine, the Spyros translation and the HBS translation are some of the most commonly used.

There may be others as well, but this should be most of them.

Also, if you are interested in a really fun read, there is also an old (in the modern sense) translation of Pilgrim's Progress into Greek that I've read a small portion of. Based on memory, it may be katharevousa.
For Koine Greek recordings and videos:

https://www.KoineGreek.com
Benjamin Kantor

Post by Benjamin Kantor »

Also, if you could, I would love an update when you finish this project. It is something I would be very keen to read.
For Koine Greek recordings and videos:

https://www.KoineGreek.com
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Thank you. The five versions are apparently some of the most widely used modern Greek Bibles. I do not have a big project but simply want to see whether the words παρουσία and συντέλεια appear in modern Greek translations of the Bible, and whether modern native Greek-speaking people understand them as “coming” and “end” rather than as “presence” and “concluding period” in eschatological contexts, such as at Mt 24:3. I need to see whether modern Greek-speaking people understand the παρουσία and συντέλεια as points of time rather than as a duration.

Do you know where I can download or read online the five versions as well as a certain sixth version which you mentioned?

Return to “New Testament”