English-greek lexicon!?

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
clmatt88

English-greek lexicon!?

Post by clmatt88 »

Hi, for composition purposes, I would like a hard copy of an English to ancient Greek lexicon. Only one I have found: A 1910 publication by a Woodhouse. If you would be so kind, might you know of any others? Also given there are so many Greek to English lexicons, any speculation as to why there would be such a scarcity of English to ancient Greek lexicons? Thank you!
-Christopher M.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: English-greek lexicon!?

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Woodhouse is still the standard, since really nothing in English has been published since. Although a bit dated, it's still quite helpful. Why aren't there more such lexicons? Mainly because the vast majority of people working with the language work from Greek to English, and composition is somewhat rare these days. You best bet is to use Woodhouse in combination with a Greek-English lexicon to check if your vocabulary selection really is suitable. The best way to get good at composition is to read and internalize as much ancient Greek as you can. You will tend to write like the authors you spend the most time reading. My professor in grad school told me that my compositions reminded him of the NT. I don't think he meant it that way, but I took it as a compliment.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

The other thing is that with software available these days you can look up English glosses, and thus work backwards.
Not quite the same thing granted but it works. Incidentally Ben Kantor has such a thing up online too : https://www.koinegreek.com/koine-greek-dictionary

Thx
D
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

clmatt88 wrote: May 29th, 2019, 12:39 pmHi, for composition purposes, I would like a hard copy of an English to ancient Greek lexicon. Only one I have found: A 1910 publication by a Woodhouse. If you would be so kind, might you know of any others? Also given there are so many Greek to English lexicons, any speculation as to why there would be such a scarcity of English to ancient Greek lexicons? Thank you!
Have you not considered using the electronic version of Woodhouse? You can quickly look up the word that you're looking for in English and be taken to the page. I think it's a great resource. How much would you spend for a print version of the lexicon?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
clmatt88

Post by clmatt88 »

Thank you for the replies. Yes I may have to purchase a Woodhouse however expensive it is. No, I'm not interested in electronic versions.
-Christopher M.

Return to “Books”