Hi Friends

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Jesse Duley

Hi Friends

Post by Jesse Duley »

Hi friends. Jesse here.

Just found this forum via Google, as I'm learning Greek solo and my few expert friends are probably getting tired of me sending them questions! I'm working from Mounce's BBG (3rd ed). Currently on chapter 11, so wrestling with 3rd declension and personal pronouns right now.

41 yrs old, Worship Pastor of a Vineyard church. Graduated with an MTheol at University of St Andrews a couple of years ago, but never took Greek as I also worked alongside my degree and couldn't afford the time. Promised myself I'd take it up after graduation, but have to admit I'm finding it hard on my own. Hoping this is an active community!

p.s. have already messaged admins about changing my screen name!
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Hi Friends

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome! If you ask questions or make comments people will interact.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

JesterPilgrim wrote: July 28th, 2019, 6:27 am Hi friends. Jesse here.

Just found this forum via Google, as I'm learning Greek solo and my few expert friends are probably getting tired of me sending them questions! I'm working from Mounce's BBG (3rd ed). Currently on chapter 11, so wrestling with 3rd declension and personal pronouns right now.

41 yrs old, Worship Pastor of a Vineyard church. Graduated with an MTheol at University of St Andrews a couple of years ago, but never took Greek as I also worked alongside my degree and couldn't afford the time. Promised myself I'd take it up after graduation, but have to admit I'm finding it hard on my own. Hoping this is an active community!

p.s. have already messaged admins about changing my screen name!
Welcome, Jesse
Ask all the questions you like on this Forum. My students found Mounce a bit dry and grammar-oriented - you're welcome to use my online textbook for an approach with more reading practice.
http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html
You're still going to have to tackle grammar - and you'll probably find yourself learning more English grammar too as you wrestle with it. It will be worth it - hang in there. Don't sweat the paradigms - learn to recognize the cases of nouns etc. as you see them in context in a sentence. After all, what we want to do is read the New Testament and understand what we read, rather than spend hours discussing what sort of dative something is :-)
I know, that's probably regarded as heresy in some quarters.
Enjoy
Shirley Rollinson
Jesse Duley

Post by Jesse Duley »

Shirley Rollinson wrote: July 29th, 2019, 8:12 pm you're welcome to use my online textbook for an approach with more reading practice.
Wow, thanks Shirley - that's incredibly generous!
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

JesterPilgrim wrote: July 28th, 2019, 6:27 am p.s. have already messaged admins about changing my screen name!
Just post your name here and one of us will get it done quickly. I didn't see a message outside of this one.

Welcome to the forum!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jesse Duley

Post by Jesse Duley »

Jason Hare wrote: July 30th, 2019, 4:28 am
JesterPilgrim wrote: July 28th, 2019, 6:27 am p.s. have already messaged admins about changing my screen name!
Just post your name here and one of us will get it done quickly. I didn't see a message outside of this one.

Welcome to the forum!
Jesse Duley. Thanks!
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

And done. By me. All the other admins, they all lazy, but I gotcha... :) Actually, I'm just the first one to see it. Welcome again!
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: July 30th, 2019, 10:53 am And done. By me. All the other admins, they all lazy, but I gotcha... :) Actually, I'm just the first one to see it. Welcome again!
Some of us have to work day jobs! :p
<3
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jesse Duley

Post by Jesse Duley »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: July 30th, 2019, 10:53 am And done. By me. All the other admins, they all lazy, but I gotcha... :) Actually, I'm just the first one to see it. Welcome again!
Thanks Barry :)
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

toujours la politesse :-)

Return to “Introductions”