Translation of the Words ἓν, ἤρξαντο, ἀναφορὰν ἔχειν

Other Greek writings of the New Testament era, including papyri and inscriptions
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jason Hare

Re: Translation of the Words ἓν, ἤρξαντο, ἀναφορὰν ἔχειν

Post by Jason Hare »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: September 7th, 2019, 6:50 am And let me add, is precisely the wrong way to do it. This "method" decodes the English into Greek, rather than starting from the Greek to understand it as Greek. This is why seminary students so often can't really see outside of their English translations and can't transfer their "knowledge" of Greek to texts outside of the NT. It's handy if you are taking an exam for a grade in a class -- I once did much better on an exam for Hebrew because I remembered the English for Psalm 103 (which I had memorized), but it isn't even close to learning the language.

The solution? One way is to use a teaching text which gives you practice readings based on lots of different sources. Athenaze does this, and includes real Greek readings from numerous ancient sources as well as the NT.
I second everything here. This is why it is so common to dissuade students of Greek from using interlinear Bibles. You won't get past decoding if you're thinking in English while looking at Greek/Hebrew. I also second Athenaze as an amazing place to start, and with the new versions just having been released last year, it's never a better time to purchase the texts and get started with Greek!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Jason Hare wrote: September 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm You won't get past decoding if you're thinking in English while looking at Greek/Hebrew.
Sounding like an echo chamber. The point has been made a thousand times on this forum. Who cares? The academic publishers including Oxford[1], Harvard, ... continue to crank-out diglots. All the bible software function as diglots. This is horribly wrong! They need to dream in the ancient language.

Do we need anymore of Hoffstter's rants? He is singing to the choir.

[1] Sophronius of Jerusalem and Seventh-Century Heresy
The Synodical Letter and Other Documents

Edited by Pauline Allen OUP 2009
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: September 7th, 2019, 3:45 pm All the bible software function as diglots. This is horribly wrong! They need to dream in the ancient language.
You can almost always find a way to use a tool badly. But perhaps a bible software or two might be persuaded to offer a mode where certain features don't work, specifically so that things are a bit harder and one is unable to so easily use some of the crutches. You can of course already configure them that way if you want.

Thx
D
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: September 7th, 2019, 3:45 pm He is singing to the choir.
Or he's singing to a one-man audience and the choir happens to be listening. The point is worth repeating as many times as some new person can be reached, it's so important.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: September 7th, 2019, 3:45 pm
Jason Hare wrote: September 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm You won't get past decoding if you're thinking in English while looking at Greek/Hebrew.
Sounding like an echo chamber. The point has been made a thousand times on this forum. Who cares? The academic publishers including Oxford[1], Harvard, ... continue to crank-out diglots. All the bible software function as diglots. This is horribly wrong! They need to dream in the ancient language.

Do we need anymore of Hoffstter's rants? He is singing to the choir.

[1] Sophronius of Jerusalem and Seventh-Century Heresy
The Synodical Letter and Other Documents

Edited by Pauline Allen OUP 2009
I will continue singing, and please note (!) that if the choir sings along, we might reach more people who need to hear it.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “Koine Greek Texts”