Siebenthal - Ancient Greek Grammar

Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Siebenthal - Ancient Greek Grammar

Post by Stirling Bartholomew » November 28th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Siebenthal is that it essentially gives me the clear explanations of Smyth
Smyth is the most lucid reference grammar I have ever used. The language of Harvard a century ago might cause problems for non-native speakers but compared to Guy Cooper it is clear and concise. I used Cooper for Homer and Attic Tragedy but now he is molding on the shelf.

Pretty much lost interest in school boy grammar decades ago.
0 x

C. Stirling Bartholomew

Barry Hofstetter

2019 Year of the Grammars

Post by Barry Hofstetter » December 27th, 2019, 11:21 am

This blog post includes an interview with Siebenthal about the English edition of his grammar:

https://tinyurl.com/tmcoubm
0 x
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
Χαίρετε ἐν κυρίῳ πάντοτε· πάλιν ἐρῶ, χαίρετε

Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen » December 27th, 2019, 7:42 pm

I just ordered this from amazon.de. It was sold out from .com and .co.uk, and only 3 left in .de - seems to be popular, or they just had a small amount initially. Maybe there will be demand for a cheaper paperback for NT students?

At the same time I ordered The CGCG.

It's nice to have a Christmas :)
1 x

Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew » December 27th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 7:42 pm

At the same time I ordered The CGCG.

It's nice to have a Christmas :)
I ordered CGCG from InterLibLoan. Not into buying books. Still got some left but most have been given away.
0 x
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn » December 28th, 2019, 4:15 am

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 10:08 pm
Not into buying books. Still got some left but most have been given away.
I am going the other way at the moment. Just moved to a new place and there is a lot more room - having a paper copy to hand is sometimes nicer than electronic. That said, for proper study the electronic versions are massively more helpful.
0 x

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » December 28th, 2019, 9:25 am

Matthew Longhorn wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 4:15 am
Stirling Bartholomew wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 10:08 pm
Not into buying books. Still got some left but most have been given away.
I am going the other way at the moment. Just moved to a new place and there is a lot more room - having a paper copy to hand is sometimes nicer than electronic. That said, for proper study the electronic versions are massively more helpful.
I have both on Kindle, which is great since I travel. So far, I haven't persuaded myself to pay for BDAG in electronic form, since I have the hardbound book, but I don't carry it with me either.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn » December 28th, 2019, 9:54 am

Jonathan Robie wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 9:25 am
So far, I haven't persuaded myself to pay for BDAG in electronic form, since I have the hardbound book
BDAG in olivetree is great as that is where I primarily do my NT reading. Just being able to click a word and get the lexical information is massively helpful. I also have a copy in Accordance - I tend to do most of my church fathers reading in there and unfortunately LSJ isn't available in Olivetree. BDAG and LSJ is a good help for them and Josephus.
I should probably not mention GE!
0 x

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » December 28th, 2019, 10:17 am

Matthew Longhorn wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 9:54 am
Jonathan Robie wrote:
So far, I haven't persuaded myself to pay for BDAG in electronic form, since I have the hardbound book
BDAG in olivetree is great as that is where I primarily do my NT reading. Just being able to click a word and get the lexical information is massively helpful. I also have a copy in Accordance - I tend to do most of my church fathers reading in there and unfortunately LSJ isn't available in Olivetree. BDAG and LSJ is a good help for them and Josephus.
Yes, I have lexicons that are good enough for everyday reading in Paratext and other resources. Doing research based on a paper copy is laborious, and I will eventually give up and pay for a second copy of a book I already have. I wish there were some way to automatically get electronic versions of texts I already own, or to pay for a lexicon once and use it with all my software.

Yes, I wish I lived in a world that does not exist.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » December 28th, 2019, 10:17 am

Matthew Longhorn wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 9:54 am
Jonathan Robie wrote:
Yes, I have lexicons that are good enough for everyday reading in Paratext and other resources. Doing research based on a paper copy is laborious, and I will eventually give up and pay for a second copy of a book I already have. I wish there were some way to automatically get electronic versions of texts I already own, or to pay for a lexicon once and use it with all my software.

Yes, I wish I lived in a world that does not exist.
0 x

Brent Niedergall

Post by Brent Niedergall » February 3rd, 2020, 6:44 am

Here’s my review of von Siebenthal’s Ancient Greek Grammar:
https://niedergall.com/book-review-von ... testament/
0 x
Brent Niedergall

Return to “Grammars”