Acts 2,46

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Peter Streitenberger

Acts 2,46

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Dear Friends,

sorry I forgot, how to export the Greek font, so please allow a translation of this vers:
in Acts 2,46 we read: "So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart"
My question is: is it possible to regard "daily" only in reference to the meetings in the temple or is it obvious (my view so far) that the breaking of the bread is modified by "daily" as well.
Thank you for all help !
Yours
Peter, Germany
John Brainard

Re: Acts 2,46

Post by John Brainard »

While I am a newbie here I believe that the preposition καθ ημεραν is used distributively to form a common idiomatic expression which means daily or everyday.

I am a light weight here. I am really interested to see what the scholars have to say.

John
Scott Lawson

Re: Acts 2,46

Post by Scott Lawson »

Peter Streitenberger wrote:My question is: is it possible to regard "daily" only in reference to the meetings in the temple or is it obvious (my view so far) that the breaking of the bread is modified by "daily" as well.
καθ' ἡμέραν τε προσκαρτεροῦντες ὁμοθυμαδὸν ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ κλῶντές τε κατ' οἶκον ἄρτον, μεταλάμβανον τροφῆς ἐν ἀγαλλιάσει καὶ ἀφελότητι καρδίας

I read it the same way you do Peter. The use of the particle τὲ would seem to coordinate the two participles.
John Brainard wrote: I believe that the preposition καθ ημεραν is used distributively to form a common idiomatic expression which means daily or everyday.
You are correct, John.

Scott Lawson - ὁ βωμολόχος
Scott Lawson

Return to “New Testament”